HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

X31 fun!

Post here about anything that doesn't fit specifically into any of the other categories, or if you're not sure what the problem is.

X31 fun!

Postby shovenose » July 19th, 2011, 10:40 pm

I'll be getting a new laptop so I can play around with this one a little.
Here is what I want to do:
-Assign an additional 64-128MB of RAM to the GPU (ATI Mobility Radeon 16MB).
-OC CPU to 2GHz (1.7GHz Pentium M)
-Set LCD to 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768.

Any ideas on any of these? thanks!
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

RE: X31 fun!

Postby c_hegge » July 20th, 2011, 4:00 am

1. I it's a descrete GPU, then it can't be done. It has it's own RAM on the motherboard and lacks the ability to share the system RAM

2. Can't be done, unless there's some 3rd party BIOS available. As a general rule, laptops don't overclck, period.

3. Can't be done. The display circuitry is all on the motherboard, so not even replacing the screen would get around that one.

As much as I hate to say it, laptops aren't much good for overclocking and tweaking.
No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards! :D
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Th3_uN1Qu3 » July 20th, 2011, 6:33 am

c_hegge wrote:As a general rule, laptops don't overclck, period.

Not from the BIOS at least. With something that old, the GPU likely has its dedicated memory and it can't be increased (not that it'd help any if it could), and if the LCD's physical (native) resolution is 1024x768, you can't make it any higher in 90% of cases. Sometimes it is possible, but the result will look ugly and you'll have a hard time reading stuff. But contrary to what c_hegge says, if you find a compatible display with higher resolution, it will work. But it certainly won't be cheap, i doubt it's worth it.
Th3_uN1Qu3

Postby shovenose » July 20th, 2011, 7:09 am

Yesterday duckula mentioned something about my laptop having OC options in the BIOS. i'll check it out. Lol.
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Return to General Computer Discussion