HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

PC Design FAIL

Post here about anything that doesn't fit specifically into any of the other categories, or if you're not sure what the problem is.

PC Design FAIL

Postby c_hegge » September 18th, 2011, 12:08 am

See if you can find what's wrong with this. Actually, on second thoughts, maybe it would be easier to find what's right with it.

The PC is a mITX with a Core 2 Quad CPU, no case fans, an nVidia chipset, a cheap sleve-bearing graphics card fan (which was ceased up), and TK and G-Luxon capacitors all over the motherboard (and yes, the TKs were vented when I got my hands on it).

The picture was taken after I downgraded the CPU to a core 2 duo, added a chipset fan (a sunon maglev ball-bearing), removed the graphics card, and replaced the TK caps with Nichicon HM and the G-Luxons with Rubycon ZL. I had to mod the PSU a bit to get power to the fan. The only spare connector was the extra 4 pins on the 24 pin ATX connector (the mobo only has a 20-pin connector). I cut the connector off and soldered a 3-pin fan connector in it's place (using the 5v rail to power the fan, since it spins at like 4 or 5000 RPM at 12v and makes too much noise).

No prizes for guessing what brand it is :D

PC FAIL.JPG
PC FAIL.JPG (681.35 KiB) Viewed 22658 times
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Re: PC Design FAIL

Postby duckula » September 18th, 2011, 1:50 am

I think it's an ACER. The Aspire marking on the chassis is a giveaway.
duckula

Postby c_hegge » September 18th, 2011, 3:29 am

It is indeed an acer.

I hate how this new forum software doesn't attach images as thumbnails, or resize them, but you have to scroll through them.

and I REALLY hate the design of this PC

:rapidfire: acer
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby duckula » September 18th, 2011, 4:04 am

:D That's a strange configuration. I won't put a quad core CPU and a discrete video card and a 3.5" HDD and a 5.25" ODD in one little computer case if I build a little PC. Most likely I will go with something like atom or APU(E350). :mrgreen:

And I agree with your comment on the attachment.
duckula

Postby c_hegge » September 18th, 2011, 5:02 am

Well, it came with windows vistrash, so an atom or similar would have been underpowered. I think that the best option would have been to use an atom and bundle it with XP. You simply can't cool a quad core CPU in that little case, period.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby shovenose » September 18th, 2011, 11:05 am

Im working on the forum software nitpicksn..when I'm done moving andhave internet on Wednesday
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby shovenose » September 18th, 2011, 11:07 am

Then again I've got a PC design fail of my own. An overclocked p4ht 3.2 oc to 3.4, with no case fans a fanless antecedent phantom 350w Psu ;)
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby c_hegge » September 18th, 2011, 3:12 pm

*gasp* Shame on you for building that :D

I ALWAYS add case fans to my PCs. I have hundreds (literally) of spare ones which I've scavenged from PSUs and soldered connectors onto.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby shovenose » September 19th, 2011, 6:13 am

Lol...the autocorrect on my phone turned antec into antecedent...
Yeah it smells funny after a while but it only takes small fans not 80mm!
and it is too loud otherwise. I did change the psu to an antecedent ea380 with a fan and I backed down the overclock...maybe I will add a fan controller ;)
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby c_hegge » September 19th, 2011, 4:50 pm

I wouldn't even bother overclocking a Prescott, because when they warm up, they throttle back, so you may actually be reducing its performance.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Return to General Computer Discussion