HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Fan (and other cooling-related) basics

Post here about anything that doesn't fit specifically into any of the other categories, or if you're not sure what the problem is.

Re: Fan (and other cooling-related) basics (WIP)

Postby LongRunner » August 18th, 2013, 3:11 am

I thought Sunon was the one with noisy motors (not bearings or impellers). AFAIK that's because of the unusual stator design. Both their sleeve and ball bearing fans produce that vibration, which you can hear if you place a running Sunon on top of a PSU case (or presumably any other similar steel construction). Other fans produce the same noise but to a lesser extent. How the motor itself would degrade to worsen it, I really don't know. I'm familiar with the sound in question, and it's nothing like that from the impeller, which in most fans is the dominant noise source.
LongRunner

Postby Wester547 » August 18th, 2013, 3:34 am

Sunon fans move ample air even for their rattling noises and vibration. I have a Newton Power 250W whose Sunon sleeve bearing fan still works. Within the first 15-20 minutes of use, the rattling noises start. But I noticed that before that, when I press my hand against the fan grille, it starts making rattling noises and stops when I remove my hand from it. ADDA fans while not very reliable are incredibly quiet for the amount of air they move at least. I can't even hear their stators when they're temperature controlled.
Wester547
Veteran Member

Postby c_hegge » August 18th, 2013, 5:16 pm

I find that Sunon fans definitely vibrate and rattle much more than most other fans. It's as if the impellers aren't very well balanced.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby LongRunner » August 25th, 2013, 12:56 am

Added bearings (long overdue, I bet) and sizes. Also, if you can figure out a new use (in-PC) for small (≤50mm) fans, post it here.

By the way: What's the loudest fan you've ever used???
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » August 25th, 2013, 2:13 am

Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Postby c_hegge » August 25th, 2013, 2:18 am

I saw that. That logisys bearing design was a little disturbing. I too would class that as just a regular sleeve bearing.

EDIT: The loudest fans I've ever used would have to be the Deltas on the old load tester

EDIT 2: I occasionally see 40 and 50mm fans being used as chipset fans and as case fans in small form factor PCs. In standard ATX computers, though there no reason why they need to be used these days.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby LongRunner » August 25th, 2013, 10:48 pm

Added: How to tell the difference between one ball + sleeve bearing and dual ball bearing fans.
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » August 28th, 2013, 11:32 pm

There's a non-obvious problem with one ball + sleeve bearing fans. (Read my edited first post.)
LongRunner

Postby c_hegge » August 29th, 2013, 12:37 am

Other than the marketing hype, I've never seen the advantage in 1B 1S bearing fans. They are more expensive for no gain, as they are generally no more reliable than plain old sleeve bearing fans.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby LongRunner » October 20th, 2013, 12:23 am

Updated: Much of the post.
LongRunner

Previous

Return to General Computer Discussion