HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Fan (and other cooling-related) basics

Post here about anything that doesn't fit specifically into any of the other categories, or if you're not sure what the problem is.

Fan (and other cooling-related) basics

Postby LongRunner » August 15th, 2013, 10:44 pm

This is primarily about axial fans, the type most used in desktop PCs, named because they move air around the rotational axis.
There are two other types, radial/centrifugal (blows air outwards) and cross-flow; those will be covered later (if ever… :blush:).

Fans
  • At the simplest level, the choice of fan is a compromise between air movement, noise output, and physical size. Improving two of these requires sacrificing the other. You can get a fan that is average in all ways, you can get a small and quiet but weak fan, you can get a small and powerful but loud fan, or you can get a large, quiet, powerful fan.
  • The dominant noise emission from most fans is a prominent tone caused by the impeller interacting with the air. The frequency of this tone is equal to the rotations per second (= RPM/60) multiplied by the number of blades of the impeller. (So with seven blades at 2700RPM, typical of many 80mm fans, the resultant tone is at 315Hz - roughly D#4 on the musical scale.) Obstructing the airflow in "front" of a fan (the side it sucks air from) will exacerbate this noise. Running two similar fans at nearly the same speed can result in an irritating fading in/out type effect - as the relative rotation angle of the two fan rotors varies, their noise output cycles between cancelling out and adding together. To avoid this, do not run two identical fans at the same speed unless there is no alternative (besides using a single fast fan of the same size - anything beats that - reason in the next bullet point).
  • In the same fan, rotation speed and airflow are pretty much linearly correlated. Rotation speed and noise, however, are nowhere near it.
    This makes high-speed fans undesirable - just one speed grade higher can make a big difference (those seemingly small steps are there for a reason).
    But fast fans do have a benefit - they can move air at higher pressure (correlated to the square of rotation speed).
  • While bigger fans have better noise/airflow ratios under the same operating conditions, compromises are sometimes made to fit them into a small space - ATX PSUs being the classic example. The form factor was designed for an 80mm rear-mounted fan, and using a 120mm top-mounted fan (well, most cases mount the PSU upside-down in relation to its internal construction so it therefore faces down) requires so many sacrifices that it ultimately results in much worse performance. Some old Socket A coolers funneled an 80mm fan down onto a 60mm heatsink, which caused enough back-pressure that the same heatsink would be better-cooled by a 60mm fan with the same noise level (if you must use an oversize fan, just let it overhang the heatsink).
  • The fan frame should have a pair of arrows marked on it. One indicates the rotation direction and the other indicates the airflow direction.
    Counter-rotating fans (although rarely encountered in PCs, other than servers) have 3 arrows (or 4 if the stages have individual frames).
  • Metal (or plastic where RF shielding isn't required) grilles are used to prevent accidental contact with the fan blades.
    However, they reduce airflow and can increase noise dramatically if mounted to the front of a fan (as noted in the second bullet). Some of them are very badly designed, with more metal than holes (or decorative types may have such large holes that they don't provide meaningful protection).
  • Fans used in PCs are (usually) powered from 12VDC (there are also 5V, 24V and 48V; the latter two can't be used in PCs) and can have two, three, or four wires. 2-wire fans just have power connections ("negative" usually being ground). 3-wire fans (as used in PCs*) have the power connections and a speed output (switches between open-circuit and grounded in sync with the rotation, or actually twice per rotation as most fan motors have 4 poles). 4-wire fans have the aforementioned speed sensor, plus the facility to control the fan speed using pulse-width modulation. Many older motherboards attempted to use PWM on 3-wire fans but this corrupts the tachometer signal, rendering it useless until the fan is returned to full speed. These are typically colour-coded as:
    Ground (pin 1): usually black, occasionally blue
    +VDC (pin 2): red (common) or yellow (Intel stock coolers)
    Sensor (pin 3): yellow or white (common); blue (Delta); green (Intel stock coolers)
    PWM (pin 4): blue (Intel stock coolers); yellow (Delta); brown (NMB); others?
    The pin numbers referenced are the wiring order of the small 3-pin and 4-pin (PWM) connectors used to connect fans to motherboards.
    4-pin headers are backwards compatible with 3-wire fans, but then using PWM control will do nothing; 4-wire fans should default to maximum speed if plugged into a 3-pin header, but this is not always guaranteed. 2-wire fans are generally fitted for direct connection to the PSU outputs.
    One notable exception: stock coolers for the PPGA Celerons, which while only 2-wire, had the same connector as for 3-wire fans.
    Fans can usually also be speed-controlled by varying the input voltage, which can make them run slower (or faster, if you dare) than design.
    However, too low and the fan won't even start spinning, and too high will destroy the fan motor (or its control IC). Not all manufacturers recommend voltage reduction, but within the specified range you should be OK; however some high-end fans have a regulated speed and can't be voltage-controlled.
  • There are several types of bearings used to support the rotating impeller. The two most common are sleeve bearings, which consist of a steel shaft loosely turning inside a sintered bronze cylinder (filled with oil to reduce friction), and ball bearings, which work on the principle on "things roll easier than they slide", featuring multiple steel (or occasionally ceramic, either silicon nitride or zirconium dioxide) spheres rolling between inner and outer steel "races". A "cage", which may be made of steel or plastic, maintains even spacing of the balls; and grease is packed inside to further reduce friction.
    Generally speaking, sleeve bearings are quieter (with adequate lubrication) but do not perform well with the shaft vertical (i.e. with the fan mounted horizontally) and the lubricant will dry up over time, which is accelerated by high heat. Ball bearings can operate in any orientation, and generally last longer, but are more easily damaged by shock (due to the minuscule contact points). Ball bearings have to be used in pairs for stability. Some fans have one ball bearing and a sleeve bearing, but I don't know what use that is, except to sell a fan on the basis of "ball bearings = more reliable" and then penny-pinch without technically lying. Preloading is required for ball bearings to run smoothly (if you disassemble a 2BB fan, you'll find a spring in addition to the bearings themselves), which can't be done with 1B+S as it would put pressure on the retainer, creating excessive friction and noise. Fortunately, if you're in doubt, there's a way to tell without having to look up the model number.
    Simply hold the fan frame in one hand, and try to slide the impeller in and out. If you can slide it axially with very little effort, there's a sleeve bearing inside. If it springs back to its original position, it's dual ball bearing.
    Many manufacturers have their own bearing system, which is often a modification of the sleeve bearing e.g. ARX's CeraDyna (a sleeve bearing with a ceramic center shaft (CeraDyna A) or entirely ceramic (CeraDyna C)), Delta's Superflo, ebm-papst's Sintec, Noctua's SSO, and Panaflo's (now part of NMB-MAT) Hydro Wave.
*There is a second type of three-wire fan where the third wire is grounded when the fan is running normally and floats if the fan stops spinning, but those are not used in PCs. I suppose they could be used inside a PSU as a simple way to auto-shutdown on fan failure. But I'm not aware of that actually being done - I'm only aware of PSUs with 2-wire fans, or 3-wire speed sensing with a connector (with only the sensor and maybe ground wires) to plug into the motherboard and monitor the fan speed.

Small axial fans usually have square frames, available in the following sizes (listed are typical thicknesses though there are exceptions):
  • 25mm (20mm between holes), 10mm thick
  • 30mm (24mm between holes), 10mm thick
  • 35mm (29mm between holes), 10mm thick
  • 40mm (32mm between holes), 10~20mm thick
  • 50mm (40mm between holes), 10~20mm thick
  • 60mm (50mm between holes), 10~25mm thick
  • 70mm (61.5mm between holes), 15~25mm thick
  • 80mm (71.5mm between holes), 15~25mm thick
  • 92mm (82.5mm between holes), 25mm thick (also 15mm thick in some SFX PSUs)
  • 120mm (105mm between holes), 25 or 38mm thick (also 15mm thick in SFX-L PSUs; Phanteks PH‑F120T30 is 30mm thick)
  • 140mm (125mm between holes), 25 or 38mm thick
25mm fans were used in some CD writers from aeons ago. I don't even know if 30mm and 35mm fans were used in PCs (the first CPU coolers, to my knowledge, were 40mm). Sunon's "Mighty Mini Fans" provide sizes from 17mm down to 8mm (3mm thick), but 25mm is the smallest standard size. Some PSUs use 135mm instead of 140mm fans.

I generally wouldn't recommend 38mm thick fans as they are usually designed to be powerful, not quiet. (NMB 4715VL has a 6400RPM model. And yes, there was a 12V version, so if you were a masochist (and had 36W to spare), you could use it in your PC when it was available.)

Many very small fans have relatively massive motor hubs, leaving little room for the blades and hampering noise/airflow performance - so it may be worth comparing several fans of the same size to see which performs best. That aside, however, physically similar fans usually have similar noise and airflow characteristics. In some cases, the choice between two somewhat different fans of the same size may come down to airflow vs. pressure.

Some manufacturers make fans with transparent plastic rather than the usual black; but the amorphous plastic (polycarbonate, I think) used in transparent fans is prone to resonance. Opaque fans are generally glass-fiber reinforced polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) and/or nylon, but premium models (e.g. Noctua, Phanteks) may use liquid-crystal polymer (LCP; it doesn't have much relation to liquid-crystal displays, and the finished plastic is very much solid).

Moving air also produces broadband noise due to general turbulence. With a fan operating in free air that noise will be drowned out by the blade-induced buzz/whine, but in restrictive environments (such as poorly ventilated PSUs) it can start to dominate.

Other key cooling parts
For basic information on heatsinks and thermal compounds, I refer you to this site. The fan article there, on the other hand, I considered inadequate. A critical thing worth mentioning is that, like PSU reviews, the majority of heatsink reviews are done wrong. It is often said that the grease/paste (I prefer "paste" over "grease" because, as necessary, it's sticky enough that it doesn't flow by itself) performs better than the solid pads. That advice is obsolete. While the historical graphite and filled-mesh pads were indeed effective thermal resistors, modern phase-change pads (the only type used for CPUs since ≈2001) melt at a defined temperature (which is chosen to be above realistic room temperatures, but within the safe operating range of the component), squeezing the excess material out of the way under the pressure of the heatsink mount, just as happens with paste. The thermal conductivity of the compound itself is not much different between the two. This test should tell (not my favourite reviewer by any means but at least the thermal testing was done with proper methodology - which is more than can be said for Hardware Secrets). (I do think Dan's attitude toward longevity was rather cavalier, though. Not upgrading until I have to (until mid-2014, I was still using a system I assembled from mostly circa-2005 hardware), I insist on material, component, and design choices to last over a decade under normal conditions. The thermal conductivity of the compound isn't the big deal to me.)

Water cooling
A system that has its uses but is usually way over-rated. Instead of mounting the heatsink directly to the heat source, it uses a circulating liquid (which can be anything that has suitable physical properties, but water is the most common given its near-zero cost and exceptional heat capacity) to transfer heat from the component to a heat exchanger (usually referred to incorrectly as a "radiator"). Compared to the sheer simplicity of a direct-mounted heatsink, a water cooling system has these components, all connected by tubing (usually made of silicone rubber or soft plastic):
  • Block(s) that pick up heat from the source - there can be several of these in one system as long as the heat exchanger can handle the combined dissipation of all the sources, the pump can provide enough pressure to circulate the water at a sufficient rate, and they are sequenced (the order in which they receive water flow) to avoid heat-sensitive components (e.g. HDDs) being presented with the heated water from high-dissipation components (CPUs and GPUs).
  • The heat exchanger, which does the same job in the same way as a normal heatsink, only with the heated water from the blocks instead of contacting the source directly. They are constructed with the metal internal pipes looped through the fins (to which they are bonded for thermal connection) many times, maximizing contact with them.
  • A reservoir which holds reserve water - if you like, a "buffer" of it - to keep air bubbles out of circulation.
  • The pump. In principle this is actually like fans used for air movement, only at lower speed and higher torque, and it has to be watertight. High quality pumps have the stator coils outside the water chamber, coupled to the rotor magnets through the plastic.
The advantages are:
  • The size of the heat exchanger is no longer restricted by the available space around the heat source, as it can be mounted remotely.
  • A single system can cool multiple separate heat sources (given the considerations listed in the above section).
  • Mechanical stresses on component mountings are greatly reduced compared to using large direct-mounted heatsinks.
But they have many disadvantages:
  • The pump used is another motorized device to produce noise and fail (and its failure is just as bad as a fan failure, if not worse).
  • Low quality pumps often use DC brush motors. These must be avoided at all costs.
  • The water loop adds extra thermal resistance to the system.
  • The heat exchanger must be more powerful than the conventional heatsink that would otherwise be used or there is no performance gain.
  • The reservoir must be correctly oriented to work properly.
  • Sealing is absolutely critical as if the water leaks...well, if it's reasonably pure (plain water isn't actually a great conductor, though the more salt you add, the more conductive it gets, so deliberately using salt water is not advisable), doesn't get into the PSU (which, for that matter, I wouldn't advise water-cooling) and you're there when the leak happens to pull the power plug, your hardware might survive. But regardless of the circumstances, there's no guarantee.
Therefore, they're not for most people, including me.

External HDD enclosures
These deserve special mention. Way too many pre-built external drive units (including the official HDD-manufacturer-brand ones, sadly) have fanless plastic cases - which excel at trapping heat, leading to early failure of the drives inside, and must therefore be avoided at all costs. HDDs are usually rated for an absolute maximum of 55~60°C, and the cooler, the better. After all, you can't just swap a failed HDD out and go like you can with other components - even if you have a backup, you need to restore it to the replacement drive, and you still lose anything created since the last backup. Fanless aluminium cases (so long as they don't have anything that insulates the drive from the case) are not great, but a huge improvement. Using fans is the best option - if they are high quality.
Last edited by LongRunner on March 20th, 2023, 12:33 am, edited 20 times in total.
Reason: Small updates and additional notes, tidying lines
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: Fan (and other cooling-related) basics (WIP)

Postby Wester547 » August 16th, 2013, 2:56 pm

So intake fans are ultimately worse than exhaust fans in terms of airflow (it wouldn't hurt to use the two methods in combination)? I believe airflow varies with a few things: CFM, blade design, static air pressure, the amount of blades, RPM, etc. Wire grilles are indeed better than the "punched out" grilles and all those variants. So long as you have a decent fan design I think the real problem is making sure the distribution of airflow is even and that it isn't impeded in any way (especially in crowded power supplies and computer cases, I think that makes all the difference).
Wester547
Veteran Member

Postby LongRunner » August 16th, 2013, 7:39 pm

Wester547 wrote:So intake fans are ultimately worse than exhaust fans in terms of airflow (it wouldn't hurt to use the two methods in combination)?

Noise-wise, yes (in most, if not all, cases). Not sure about airflow.

I believe airflow varies with a few things: CFM

CFM is a measure of airflow, not a contributing factor.

the amount of blades

Which also, in combination with the RPM, affects the pitch of tonal noise (which is an issue in almost all fans).

Wire grilles are indeed better than the "punched out" grilles and all those variants.

Punched grilles vary in quality. The "honeycomb" ones can be about as good as wire grilles, while some of the ones with small circular holes (such as those on a lot of AOpen cases, and those aren't even the worst I've seen) are just hideous. Breaking away one of the ones in my case and mounting a wire grille to the fan resulted in so much more airflow you'd never know it was the same fan.
LongRunner

Postby Wester547 » August 16th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Though I'm sure you know the following, CFM is the amount of measured cubic feet per minute, or the speed of air any fan pushes multiplied by square feet. I understand that it's a very crude and vague appromixation of airflow ability and that the thickness of blades, for an example, probably contributes more, but I would think CFM is critical even if it's just a measurement and whether it's measured in seconds or minutes (though I know it's measured in free air).
Last edited by Wester547 on August 16th, 2013, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wester547
Veteran Member

Postby LongRunner » August 16th, 2013, 8:55 pm

You sound confused. It measures the volume of air that flows through the system in a minute in cubic feet. An alternative is cubic metres per minute. 1m³/min = 35.315CFM. The listed values are made under ideal conditions (nothing in the air path to resist air movement) and in actual use they will, of course, move less air. Fan specifications should have a graph detailing the static pressure response.
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » August 16th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Added: mention of fan connections.
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » August 17th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Wester547 (on Badcaps.net) wrote:Way back at the end of 2001, when I first had my old Dell Dimension 8200 (which had a Pentium 4 1.7 GHz Willamette and the commonly known 3612KL-04W-B66 92x92x32 fan from NMB, dual ball bearing, rated up to 3800RPM/69.91CFM/.34" static air pressure/43.5 DBA), the NMB CPU fan that came with it was very quiet, even when the CPU was at full load. However, over time, it became noiser and noiser, and now it's at the point where it's the noisiest CPU fan I have (I estimate it to have roughly 17,000 power on hours and 7,000 power cycles).

Most of the noise is the bearings??? If that's true, I'm horrified. Are you suggesting that NMB is the STMicroelectronics of the bearing industry???

At least the 3110GL had open bearings. (At least 3110)SB series has shielded bearings, not sure about KL.

Does it sound like other fans, just louder (and higher-pitched?), or does it sound totally unlike them???
LongRunner

Postby Wester547 » August 18th, 2013, 1:34 am

LongRunner wrote:Most of the noise is the bearings??? If that's true, I'm horrified. Are you suggesting that NMB is the STMicroelectronics of the bearing industry???

Does it sound like other fans, just louder (and higher-pitched?), or does it sound totally unlike them???
The bearings don't sound worn or dry, the fan as a whole is just louder than it used to be, which I believe is characteristic of dual ball bearing fans and sleeve bearing fans. NMB/Minebea quality wise is very good (their fans are just loud but also are not easy to maintenance) - far and away from STMicroelectronics in having such dud ICs.

Want to know what's crap? JMC/Datech. Those Dell fans are notorious for failing, even the dual ball bearing ones.
Wester547
Veteran Member

Postby LongRunner » August 18th, 2013, 1:52 am

Wester547 wrote:...the fan as a whole is just louder than it used to be, which I believe is characteristic of dual ball bearing fans and sleeve bearing fans.

:huh:

How would the air movement (in any fan) get louder??? Unless the blades have deformed, in which case I'm even more horrified. :s
LongRunner

Postby Wester547 » August 18th, 2013, 2:23 am

It's probably the motor getting louder, I would imagine.
Wester547
Veteran Member

Next

Return to General Computer Discussion