HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Sleeve bearing fans - when are you willing to use them?

Post here about anything that doesn't fit specifically into any of the other categories, or if you're not sure what the problem is.

Re: Sleeve bearing fans - when are you willing to use them??

Postby LongRunner » October 26th, 2013, 11:02 pm

About that speed. It self-starts down to 3.3V (though it barely turns then).
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » November 12th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Okay, I'm disappointed with Superred now. I pulled the oil plug on one (from, yes, an HP-D3057F3H) and didn't see any oil to speak of. Both it and (to a lesser extent) an identical one produce scratching noises when rotating. I don't know about you but in a PSU that runs its fan that slow...

The Power Logic fans I have are in much better condition. I'm getting tempted to move Superred down the list.
LongRunner

Postby c_hegge » November 12th, 2013, 5:35 pm

I often find that in the 3057F3H. The Superred fans always have no lubricant in them. I have to pull the fans out anyway in order to cut out the fan grille, so I just re-lube them then.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Wester547 » November 12th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Superred fans aren't any better than ADDA? I wonder why Suppered fans are more expensive and are harder to maintenance, then, and why people hold them in high esteem...

I don't know about you but in a PSU that runs its fan that slow...
Only at low loads. I think the fan controller is fairly aggressive at higher loads.
Wester547
Veteran Member

Postby c_hegge » November 12th, 2013, 6:27 pm

The funny thing is though, that I've never actually had a Superred fan fail, in spite of not having much lubricant in the bearings.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby LongRunner » November 13th, 2013, 5:20 am

Wester547 wrote:...harder to maintenance...

They did use the fused plastic bearing plugs in the past, but the ones found in those Hipros have normal rubber plugs.

...and why people hold them in high esteem...

Beats me. I remember that momaka (on Badcaps.net) had an MPT-301 with a seized Superred fan (one of the old ones), and I can see why. He went to the length of drilling out the plug in order to oil the bearing, though I can't say I'd be tempted to go that far.

Only at low loads. I think the fan controller is fairly aggressive at higher loads.

That it runs that slow at low load is probably the reason why the ones in those Hipros survive as long as they do.
LongRunner

Postby shovenose » November 16th, 2013, 11:32 pm

I just sort of use whatever fan. My primary computer has a Noctua fan on the CPU cooler (some shitty Corsair AIO liquid cooler) but the power supply, video card, and front of the case fans are all the ones that came with it.
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Previous

Return to General Computer Discussion