HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

What is ETT/UTT

Discuss RAM, (aka Memory), in this section.

What is ETT/UTT

Postby duckula » July 8th, 2011, 3:26 am

ETT & UTT Memory Confuse Consumers

In early May Legit Reviews posted an article that covered UTT memory IC’s . After getting feedback from our readers, it was determined that further explanation was needed on the different types of IC’s that play a roll in the Value memory market. Since the value memory segment makes up the vast majority of memory sold on the market it is important to understand the DRAM options that are available to the memory companies and consumers. If you are a system builder then this article should be of interest as it would be beneficial to know what you are buying and selling to your customers.

For high end memory modules many memory companies use branded IC's that are built on full data sheets and are fully tested to their needs before they receive them. If a memory company chooses not to use branded IC's then they can use several different types of unbranded parts. The three major types of IC’s to select for value memory are; ETT, UTT, and downgraded DRAM. Right now UTT and ETT modules are starting to make a buzz in the DIY computer industry, so let's take a closer look at these memory types.

ETT = Effectively TesTed > Full data sheet parts statistically proven to be good DRAM. Highest quality Value DRAM. Both the DRAM and Module are tested.
UTT = UnTesTed > Full data sheet, but not verified good. This is left up to the module manufacture. Most will build module and test module.
Downgraded = Fall out > DRAM confirmed as not being full data sheet parts.

When it comes to pricing the difference from a branded DRAM and an unbranded ETT DRAM is very similar. The average price for an ETT 256Mbit DDR-400 part was US$2.57 from July 12-19, while branded parts for the same density averaged US$2.69 in price, a price gap of only US$0.12. While the price difference is not that great between a branded and ETT DRAM's it does add up over time. With the larger memory companies producing millions of modules a month this would add up over the fiscal year.

Most UTT and ETT comes unmarked like these UTT IC's from Winbond that were found on Mushkin's Redline XP memory series on the module below.

Read more here: http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=218
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
Any help will be appreciated.:thnx:
duckula

RE: What is ETT/UTT

Postby shovenose » July 8th, 2011, 6:26 am

I never knew that. Thank you!
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

RE: What is ETT/UTT

Postby duckula » July 8th, 2011, 3:35 pm

:P I knew Elixir belongs to Nanya, but I didn't know who own Spectek and Aeneon before.

Micron --> Spectek
Nanya --> Elixir
Infineon --> Aeneon
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
Any help will be appreciated.:thnx:
duckula

Return to RAM