HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Samsung Electronics Exiting HDD Business, Seagate Front-runner to Buy It [TPU]

Discuss or get help with HDDs here. And yes, SSDs go in this category too.

Samsung Electronics Exiting HDD Business, Seagate Front-runner to Buy It [TPU]

Postby duckula » April 18th, 2011, 1:00 am

Korean multinational conglomerate Samsung is planning to sell its hard disk drive (HDD) business held by Samsung Electronics. The company wants to focus on other kinds of storage products that are flash-based. Samsung is planning to sell the unit for an estimated US $1.5 billion. HDD major Seagate Technology is the front-runner to buy it. The HDD industry is under pressure after the market success of tablet and netbook industries, which use more compact and inexpensive SSDs instead of 1.8-inch HDDs. With Samsung's exit, the consumer HDD industry will be reduced to just three players: Western Digital, Seagate, and Toshiba.

http://www.techpowerup.com/144262/Samsu ... uy-It.html[hr]
This will narrow our choices in buying a new hard disk drive. WD bought out Hitachi HDD business recently and I hardly see any Toshiba drives in retail market. Only two options left for me: Seagate and Western Digital.
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
Any help will be appreciated.:thnx:
duckula

RE: Samsung Electronics Exiting HDD Business, Seagate Front-runner to Buy It [TPU]

Postby c_hegge » April 18th, 2011, 1:19 am

YAY! One of the junk HDD manufacturers soon to be gone.
No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards! :D
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

RE: Samsung Electronics Exiting HDD Business, Seagate Front-runner to Buy It [TPU]

Postby duckula » April 18th, 2011, 2:05 am

:lol2: Who are the other junk HDD manufacturers besides Samsung?
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
duckula

Postby c_hegge » April 18th, 2011, 2:11 am

Hitachi deathstars.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby duckula » April 18th, 2011, 2:24 am

lol I totally forgot deathstars and trashstars...
duckula

Postby shovenose » April 18th, 2011, 11:22 am

Seagate crap + samsung crap = crap
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Kong » April 20th, 2011, 5:01 am

Awww, why are you so harsh on Samsung and Seagate? They're the only 2 decent brands I use. One for an external harddrive (Seagate) and one for a computer monitor (Samsung).
Kong
Veteran Member

Postby duckula » April 20th, 2011, 5:43 am

I think he is harsh on Samsung HDDs rather than the Samsung brand. So far as I know, he got a Samsung digital camera. :D

By the way, the deal has been done. Samsung HDD devision now is part of Seagate:

•Samsung combining its hard disk drive (HDD) operations into Seagate
•Extending and enhancing the existing patent cross-license agreement between the companies
•A NAND flash memory supply agreement under which Samsung will provide Seagate with its market-leading semiconductor products for use in Seagate’s enterprise solid state drives (SSDs), solid state hybrid drives and other products
•A disk drive supply agreement under which Seagate will supply disk drives to Samsung for PCs, notebooks and consumer electronics
•Expanded cooperation between the companies to co-develop enterprise storage solutions
•Samsung receiving significant equity ownership in Seagate
http://www.techpowerup.com/144338/Seaga ... nment.html
duckula

Postby shovenose » April 20th, 2011, 5:58 am

I definitely like other Samsung products. But I hate samsund hard drives!
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby c_hegge » April 20th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Same here. I think samsung are excellent for just about everything but HDDs. In fact, All 3 of our PCs have samsung monitors and both of our LCD TVs are samsung.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Next

Return to Hard Drives