HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Intel acknowledged "8MB bug" in SSD 320 Series

Discuss or get help with HDDs here. And yes, SSDs go in this category too.

Intel acknowledged "8MB bug" in SSD 320 Series

Postby duckula » July 15th, 2011, 3:49 am

Shoppers beware: Intel's 320 Series solid-state drives reportedly ship with a glitch that could drastically reduce the drive's capacity. Flocking to Intel's official discussion board, many users have complained about their spanking new flash drives suddenly dropping from their full capacity to only 8MB, effectively blocking all stored data and making the drive useless. After accumulating numerous pages of user complaints, a member of Intel's Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group acknowledged the flaw earlier this week.

"Intel is aware of the customer sightings on Intel SSD 320 Series. If you experience any issue with your Intel SSD, please contact your Intel representative or Intel customer support (via web: www.intel.com or phone: www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone). We will provide an update when we have more information." The so called "8MB bug" appears after a power failure or system crash and it's unclear whether a hardware defect is to blame or if the problem can be solved with a firmware update.

Although users haven't discovered a way to recover data on a drive that experiences the 8MB bug, some people have been able to start from scratch by wiping the drive's contents with utilities such as HDDErase and Parted Magic. That's probably the last thing you want to hear if you just finished typing a 200-page thesis, so hang tight and Intel might offer some recovery options. This isn't the company's first time combating a serious SSD glitch, having shipped a bugged firmware update in 2009 that bricked many X25-Ms.

http://www.techspot.com/news/44694-inte ... -ssds.html
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
Any help will be appreciated.:thnx:
duckula

RE: Intel acknowledged "8MB bug" in SSD 320 Series

Postby c_hegge » July 15th, 2011, 4:35 am

Ouch. I'm still using mechanical HDDs on all my PCs. On a side note, I wonder if AMD will ever make SSDs.
No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards! :D
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby duckula » July 15th, 2011, 4:45 am

I'm using mechanical HDDs too because SSDs are still too expensive. I think AMD probably will enter SSD market, if SSDs remain lucrative. :D
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
duckula

Postby bharath » July 19th, 2011, 7:43 am

duckula wrote:I'm using mechanical HDDs too because SSDs are still too expensive. I think AMD probably will enter SSD market, if SSDs remain lucrative. :D

It would be nice if AMD enter into this SSD market.AMD products are cheap while compare to the intel as for here.Intel products are always for high price.
bharath

Postby duckula » July 19th, 2011, 3:04 pm

:P Yup It's always good to have other choices.
duckula

Postby duckula » August 18th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Intel released a firmware update to fix the so called 8MB bug.

The new firmware and the update tool can be downloaded here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... ldID=18363
duckula

Return to Hard Drives