HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Windows reports Maxtor 4R080L0 as double its real capacity

Discuss or get help with HDDs here. And yes, SSDs go in this category too.

Windows reports Maxtor 4R080L0 as double its real capacity

Postby LongRunner » July 19th, 2013, 1:15 am

How would this happen???

Windows Disk Management reports this drive (and no other drive that I've tried) as being twice as large as it is. Other utilities report it correctly. Disk Management shows the drive as having two unknown partitions (the drive is the "QuickView" version, from a video recorder) in the actual existing space and the "imaginary" area is unallocated.

(In case you're wondering, this drive has 106 reallocated sectors. It seems stable, but just in case it deteriorates later on, I imaged its contents. However, it's a bit bigger than most "80GB" drives, so I can't image onto another one of those from a different manufacturer...)
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: Windows reports Maxtor 4R080L0 as double its real capaci

Postby c_hegge » July 19th, 2013, 3:38 am

I've heard of this happening on portable devices (iPods, flash drives, etc) before. Usually, it's because the fleabay seller hacks the firmware so they can sell it as being bigger than it really is. Maybe your HDD could have a firmware bug. You could try updating the firmware on the HDD (If you can find it on a drive that old, of course).
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Return to Hard Drives