HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Why didn't Seagate reintroduce dual-drive emulation?

Discuss or get help with HDDs here. And yes, SSDs go in this category too.

Why didn't Seagate reintroduce dual-drive emulation?

Postby LongRunner » August 1st, 2013, 1:54 am

Some Seagate ATA drives from the mid-nineties had a feature which, when activated by the required jumper combination, split a single high-capacity physical drive into two smaller logical drives, one as the "master" and the other as "slave" (I put those terms in quotes because, contrary to popular belief, neither drive controls the other). It was intended as a short-term workaround for the 1,024 cylinder limit.

Of course, there were more barriers to come, so there was an opportunity to reintroduce further versions of the feature, but they missed it. (Of course, now with SATA it has little relevance, though a functionally similar feature could theoretically be provided on a SATA drive by emulating a "port multiplier", but that requires host support, which not all SATA ports have.)

Conceptually:
  • 4,096 cylinder limit - split a 4.2GB drive into 2×2.1GB
  • 6,322 cylinder limit - split a 6.5GB drive into 2×3.2GB
  • Int13h address limit - split a 17GB drive into 2×8.4GB
  • 65,536 cylinder limit - split a 60GB drive into 2×30GB
  • 28-bit LBA limit - split a 250GB drive into 2×125GB
The only explanation I can think of for why they didn't do it again is that their later ATA drives (from Medalist 8641 onwards) have an 8-pin jumper block (between the data and power connectors) with these settings:
Device 0 ("master") - jumper 7-8
Device 1 ("slave") - no jumpers (or 5-7 which does nothing as both of those are ground)
Cable select - jumper 5-6
Force slave present - jumper 7-8 and 5-6
Limit capacity - jumper 1-2
Pins 3 and 4 are not for configuration, but are a serial terminal interface which is only to be accessed for data recovery. There are no other possibilities using the remaining pins, although, could they have programmed the controller to switch into split mode upon receiving the same signal it transmitted?
Last edited by LongRunner on August 9th, 2022, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repaired PCGuide link to archive.org
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Return to Hard Drives