HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Replacing more KZG's

Discuss and get help with Motherboards and PCI cards in this part of the forum.

Replacing more KZG's

Postby Pentium » November 21st, 2013, 5:18 pm

I've got a ~2007 Asus board here that I want to use in a file server for my brother, but, it uses 100% KZG for the ultra low ESR caps, pretty disappointing but I'm not surprised. I already replaced the caps on the VRM with Sanyo SEPC and it's running great. Some of the other caps though are values that I don't have close matches to. Some caps next to the RAM are 1500µF 6.3V KZG. I was going to put the 4V poly's there but i measured 4.90V going through those caps. I do have 820µF 6.3V nichicon HN's though. Only thing is, the KZG's are rated for 1,540 ripple current and only 1,300 on the HN caps. Although I was thinking even with the lower ripple current, wouldn't they hold up just as well if not better? because I don't think the KZG's could manage their rated ripple current @ 105C for 2,000 hours but I do trust the HN's. What do you guys think? I have some 1800µF 16V HN's too but I don't want to waste those, and I REALLY don't trust those KZG, even with good cooling and a nice recapped PSU.
Pentium
Veteran Member

Re: Replacing more KZG's

Postby c_hegge » November 21st, 2013, 6:05 pm

You could give it a shot and see if it works, but I won't guarantee it. Personally, though, I'd just order some appropriate 1500uF 6.3V HM or HN caps for it.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Pentium » November 21st, 2013, 7:05 pm

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned though that I need it done by tomorrow because I will be visiting and figured might as well bring it. It's a long drive and don't want to have to bring it back. I *might* leave all the little caps for filtering USB ports since it's just going to be hosting files through the ethernet. If those were to go bad, would it alter the normal function of the mobo?

Oh and just for the record, of the 13 KZG's I've pulled so far, only 1 was out of spec. Interestingly, it was perfect on ESR with very low capacitance. It was 820µF 6.3V right next to the ATX 24 pin plug.
Pentium
Veteran Member

Postby Wester547 » November 21st, 2013, 11:15 pm

Pentium wrote:I *might* leave all the little caps for filtering USB ports since it's just going to be hosting files through the ethernet. If those were to go bad, would it alter the normal function of the mobo?
Those are for input/output filtering if I'm not mistaken so yes, if those are hosed, you may encounter all sorts of USB instability issues.
Wester547
Veteran Member

Postby Pentium » November 21st, 2013, 11:29 pm

I replaced the filtering caps for the rear USB just not the front panel connector filtering caps. It'll all be accessed remotely through the Ethernet, it's 100mbit I wish it was gigabit :D I already feel a lot better though just having the KZG out of the VRM
Pentium
Veteran Member

Return to Motherboards & Add-In Cards