HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Fighting Against One Guy With Whom I Share My Internet Connection.

Discuss networking stuff here.

Fighting Against One Guy With Whom I Share My Internet Connection.

Postby duckula » May 22nd, 2011, 4:44 am

As you may know, I share my internet connection (2Mbps ADSL plan) with other two guys. And most of time we don't get along well. Yesterday, one of the guys did something that really got me pissed off. :@

Yesterday evening, I was surfing the net when I noticed that my internet became extremely unreliable. My QQ (an online chat software) randomly disconnected and I could barely open a web page. :s At first I thought it might be a problem caused by my changing of some settings on my router. Then I restored the changes to default settings. But the problem remained. Then I had a hunch that it might be ARP spoofing. I installed an ARP firewall on my PC and ran it. The software immediately caught several ARP attacks. And depented on the ip address, I knew who was attacking me. I suddenly realised what was happening. A guy was controlling my internet connection via a software called P2Pover.:@

Well, that means war and I had to defend myself! First, I opened the control panel of my router and went to the Vlan page. I unchecked port one (on which my desktop connects) on Vlan0 and checked it on Vlan3. Second, I changed the Assigned To Bridge of Vlan3 to LAN. Applied these changes.
[attachment=92]
Third, I went to Networking page. In the port setup section, I set Networking configeration Vlan3 to unbridged. I assigned 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0 to Vlan3 (the rest Lan ports belong to Vlan0 and 192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0 was assigned to Vlan0 by default)and then added a mulitiple DHCP server to Vlan3. Applied changes and rebooted my router.
[attachment=93]

[attachment=94]
After all there settings had been done, my desktop got a ip of 192.168.0.* and the rest computers got ips of 192.168.1.* and we belong to different subnets now and
my computer is completely invisible to P2Pover now! :D

P.S. I run DD-WRT V24 SP2 Build 15962 on my router.
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
Any help will be appreciated.:thnx:
duckula

RE: Fighting Against One Guy With Whom I Share My Internet Connection.

Postby shovenose » May 22nd, 2011, 8:10 am

Did you confront the other guy about it?
:boxing:
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby duckula » May 22nd, 2011, 3:01 pm

No. Only one of them always tries to cause troubles. :P
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
duckula

Postby shovenose » May 22nd, 2011, 8:18 pm

Lol. What does p2pover do?
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby duckula » May 23rd, 2011, 12:57 am

It can monitor and control the bandwidth of computers in the ethernet. And it is made mainly for catching P2P protocal based software and preventing them from using up the entire bandwidth. In that case, since I wasn't using any P2P download or stream softwares when he used P2Pover, it only cause some troubles. (unreliable internet connection).
duckula

Postby shovenose » June 22nd, 2011, 5:57 pm

I see. But I still don't get why he was going it. Oh Well!
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby duckula » June 22nd, 2011, 6:35 pm

it doesn't matter why he did that, what matters is that whatever he does will end up in vain. :clap:
duckula

Postby shinokk » July 20th, 2011, 7:28 am

Haha, congratulations on your victory! :) Also, I've never heard of those programs. I could use them sometimes since I share my internet connection with several other people. :cool:
shinokk

Postby duckula » July 20th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Thanks shinokk. :D

DD-WRT is a third party wifi router firmware. You have to make sure your router is in DD-WRT's supported device list before you install it. Here's its offical website: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Here's what I did to prevent from the whole band width being occupied by one person: http://hardwareinsights.com/2011/04/ ... of-dd-wrt/

I don't know if P2Pover has an English edition. Typically it's in simplified Chinese. I could make screenshots with translations on them if you need. :D
duckula

Re: Fighting Against One Guy With Whom I Share My Internet

Postby Kong » November 14th, 2011, 7:57 am

Wait, Duckula, why do you have to "share" the internet with two other people? They're not stealing your internet are they? :S
Kong
Veteran Member

Next

Return to General Networking