HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Antec SmartPower and TruePower Warning!

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

Re: Antec SmartPower and TruePower Warning!

Postby AncellCavat » January 19th, 2016, 9:30 am

Actually i am working with True 380S right now, and on the secondary there is a 1µF 50V non polar Fuhjyyu cap. But the slot it's in is polarized.
I think it'd be okay?
The rest of the Fuhjyyu's are burnt, with most in the 5VSB area reading over 40Ω of ESR.
And the 5VSB was reading 8.3V
AncellCavat

Postby LongRunner » January 19th, 2016, 10:27 pm

Wait a second - aren't you asking the same thing that Pentium asked two years before?

Pentium wrote:I'm working on a True 380S right now, and on the secondary there is a 1µF 50V non polar Fuhjyyu cap. But the slot it's in is polarized. Think it'd be okay?

The rest of the Fuhjyyu's are toasted, with most in the 5VSB area reading over 40Ω of ESR. The 5VSB was reading 8.3V

Anyway, I already mentioned that I couldn't think of a part of a PSU that would require a bipolar, but another alternative is to use ceramic capacitors for the low values (up to 4.7μF or so at a 50V rating). (The reason they didn't use ceramic capacitors there in the first place was because they cost more than the same-value electrolytic, but on the plus side, they have no electrolyte to dry out.)
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Postby Behemot » January 21st, 2016, 12:25 am

I think GP cap would be OK in there. Most of the new low-ESR cap series do not go as low as 1 uF so I start with 2.2 uF KY. Smaller are GP (older VZ stock, newer is KMG).

If you need some caps for it just drop me a message :thumbsup:
Behemot
Administrator

Previous

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!