HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Mac PowerPC Performa 6400/200 Power supply repair.

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

RE: Mac PowerPC Performa 6400/200 Power supply repair.

Postby c_hegge » August 24th, 2011, 3:49 pm

I should perhaps add that there are other similar devices from the same manufacturer. Any TOP2xxYAI would probably work. They do the same thing, but can handle a bit more current.
No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards! :D
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby MaxWar » August 24th, 2011, 9:09 pm

c_hegge wrote:Where abouts are you located? That way, I can find a supplier and see if what they have.

I live in Quebec, Canada, G1R1P6.

-Digikey does not have it.
-I can get one from China on ebay 12$ shipped,i have had ill luck with spare parts from China in the past ...
- Bluestar online : >20$ shipped.

I put both my local electronics shops on the case and they are not finding anything/calling back.

The top200yai has become rare, best would be to discover a cheap equivalent, no luch so far :(
MaxWar

Postby c_hegge » August 24th, 2011, 9:52 pm

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... -1151-5-ND

I think that one would work. It's similar, but can handle a bit more current.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby MaxWar » August 25th, 2011, 2:39 pm

c_hegge wrote:http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... -1151-5-ND

I think that one would work. It's similar, but can handle a bit more current.

I've been looking at the datasheet, appears there is a different Self-protection Current Limit and a different ON-State Resistance between top 200 and 202. Im a bit worried about the latter, approx 5ohm vs 15 ohm, probably wont matter will it ?

In theory i would tend to say a lower on-state resistance is better but i am just too noob and i am still insecure.

Thanks for help so far.
MaxWar

Postby c_hegge » August 25th, 2011, 4:04 pm

I doubt if it would worry the PSU too much. a lower on-state resistance is better for efficiency.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby MaxWar » August 29th, 2011, 2:02 pm

Allright, i finally ordered the new top switch, ill also change a few caps and see how it goes. Ill test it with a light bulb first. Ill use the same rectifiers, as they seem to be good after all.
MaxWar

Postby c_hegge » August 29th, 2011, 3:04 pm

OK. cool. let us know how it goes.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby MaxWar » August 31st, 2011, 7:56 pm

Allright guys! I soldered all those damned parts back in, replaced the pwm, the 1 ohm res and 3 caps with new parts. Plugged it with a 40w bulb in series and the bulb did not stay on! :o

It just flashed briefly the way it does with a healthy psu. I tried to test for standby voltage at output plugs, got about 10-50mv between black and other colors. I do not know if that is normal, Its not much but i compared with a pc power supply and i would not get more than .50 mv.

Still this is a mac psu, feels quite different.

Any other recommendation before i test this thing without the light bulb ?

I dont know how i could really test it beside plugging it in the machine as i have no knowledge or document about the way this psu works compared to a pc...
MaxWar

Postby c_hegge » August 31st, 2011, 9:39 pm

I'd say go for it without the light globe. If there's no short (which where won't be if the light globe doesn't stay on), it probably won't explode, but measure the voltages before you put it in a computer.

Also, does the label tell you what colour wires should have what voltages? If so, it would be helpful if we're unsure on any of the voltages.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby MaxWar » September 1st, 2011, 2:11 pm

OMG OMG!!!

ITS BACK TO LIFE ! :DDDDDDDDD

It works guys, the repair worked.
I put that thing back together after some last testing and it boots right to mac os !!! This is so awesome!

Thanks a thousand times for the support guys, a big thanks to you C_hegge, giving me insights and confidence to do this, another vintage computer resurrected and saved from the landfill.

But im not done yet with PSUs! I have a bunch that need recapping and some that are sparky sparky, those are PC psu though so it should be a little easier to gather informations !

Cya later gotta go!

Edit : Btw c-hegge, only thing that was written on the casing of that PSU was : Do not open, risk of electric shocks, No user serviceable parts inside. " LOL "
MaxWar

PreviousNext

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!