HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Good capacitor choices for PSU recapping.

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

Good capacitor choices for PSU recapping.

Postby MaxWar » September 1st, 2011, 7:17 pm

I went to the local electronic store that is supposed to keep quality caps.
I needed caps for motherboards and bought Nichicon HE caps.

Now i need to buy some for PSUs, what do you think are the most trusted choices?
I looked at the Nichicon specsheets, they have the PW series that they specify is for use in switching PSU. Ive read good things about Nichicon on this website and others, what do you guys think?

Lets discuss!
MaxWar

RE: Good capacitor choices for PSU recapping.

Postby c_hegge » September 1st, 2011, 7:52 pm

Nichincon HE? Those are great for PSUs, as are the PW series, but neither is suited to use on motherboards. For that, use Nichicon HM or HN series (or an equivilent from another good manufacturer)
No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards! :D
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby MaxWar » September 1st, 2011, 8:51 pm

Well...Nichicon HE is what the guy at the shop sold me when i told him those were for motherboard... i had not looked at the specsheet at that time, but i had looked at that website, and the author hinted the HE also.
http://www.capacitorlab.com/where-to-buy-capacitors/index.htm
I did not solder them in yet.

I was wondering what to make of the lower Life@105C of the HM and HN series. Sure a motherboard is not usually as hot at the inside of a psu i guess. Unless maybe when right next to cpu HS or chipset. They do have lower impedance and Nichicon are rating them as Mobo caps, so maybe the longevity is good in this context
MaxWar

Postby c_hegge » September 1st, 2011, 9:01 pm

the lifetime is assuming the cap runs at 105C with it's maximum rated voltage and ripple being applied, which won't happen on a motherboard, so the lifetime isn't really a problem - it doubles with every 10*C under the limit and would increase further with a lower ripple and voltage. On a motherboard, you generally want to roughly match the specifications of the caps you're removing, and HM or an equivilent is what a lot of motherboard manufactrers use.
No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards! :D
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!