HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Thermaltake 750W

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

Thermaltake 750W

Postby Nuke » March 10th, 2012, 11:26 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153136

Um, I think that my PSU is broken. I don't have enough expertise to get it working, and my replacement's warranty has expired.

So I'm just stuck here doing nothing.

Any help you guys could provide?

The fan isn't spinning and the power isn't coming in. That's really all that I know...
Nuke

Re: Thermaltake 750W

Postby shovenose » March 11th, 2012, 1:06 am

Alrighty, let's try a few things:
1. Clean out any dust to the fans
2. Make sure all internal connectors that go to the motherboard, hard drive, etc. are connected, and that it's properly connected to a power source and the switch on the back is set to on.
3. Does it now work?
4. If not, short the green pin on the 24-pin connector with a black pin, using a bent paperclip. (INSTALL PAPERCLIP WHILE POWER IS UNPLUGGED, THEN WHEN POWER IS PLUGGED IN DO NOT TOUCH THE PAPERCLIP!). Use an old hard drive as a load and see if when you apply power to the PSU if it works. What the green does it's the PS_ON and by shorting that to ground it basically thinks it's hooked up to a motherboard and the computer's power button was pressed.
5. Still no luck?
Read this and then let us know :)
http://hardwareinsights.com/2011/04/ ... ply-works/
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby c_hegge » March 11th, 2012, 1:08 pm

shovenose wrote:(INSTALL PAPERCLIP WHILE POWER IS UNPLUGGED, THEN WHEN POWER IS PLUGGED IN DO NOT TOUCH THE PAPERCLIP!).

Huh? there's no problem with touching the paperclip. The PS-on signal is only 5v. I do it all the time.

In any case, a shot of the internals would be nice as well, just so we can see what we're dealing with here.

Also, test the 5vsb with a multimeter (positive lead to purple wire on ATX conntector, negative lead to any black wire), that might tell us where the problem lies if checking the basics doesn't help.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby shovenose » March 11th, 2012, 8:21 pm

c_hegge wrote:
shovenose wrote:(INSTALL PAPERCLIP WHILE POWER IS UNPLUGGED, THEN WHEN POWER IS PLUGGED IN DO NOT TOUCH THE PAPERCLIP!).

Huh? there's no problem with touching the paperclip. The PS-on signal is only 5v. I do it all the time.

In any case, a shot of the internals would be nice as well, just so we can see what we're dealing with here.

Also, test the 5vsb with a multimeter (positive lead to purple wire on ATX conntector, negative lead to any black wire), that might tell us where the problem lies if checking the basics doesn't help.

But... it's still dangerous. if the PSU is seriously messed up it could carry lethal current!
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Galib » March 11th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Hi Nuke,
Are You getting +5V PS_ON and +5VSB ??
Galib

Postby c_hegge » March 11th, 2012, 10:13 pm

shovenose wrote:But... it's still dangerous. if the PSU is seriously messed up it could carry lethal current!

I disagree. As I said, I do it all the time when troubleshooting questionable power supplies. If a power supply was really that messed up that mains voltage was getting to the secondary side, it would destroy itself and blow the fuse. (And there would be some serious burn marks on the motherboard).
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nuke » March 12th, 2012, 1:31 pm

I'm not getting anything.

Also, there's no light to be green.

Although I didn't really understand the "short the green pin on the 24-pin connector with a black pin, using a bent paperclip." thing. In particular, the "short", "with a black pin", and "using a bent paperclip" parts.
Nuke

Postby c_hegge » March 12th, 2012, 1:59 pm

We meant something like this
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby c_hegge » March 12th, 2012, 2:02 pm

In any case, though, if there is no 5vsb, then you can forget this step. The first thing to do would be to check the fuse inside the power supply. If it's blown, then you have a shorted part somewhere in the primary side. If not, then it's a problem with the 5vsb circuit.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby c_hegge » March 12th, 2012, 2:09 pm

The best picture of the Internals I could find is the Hardware Secrets one. I have circled the fuse in the picture. the easiest way to test it is to measure the resistance between the two pins with a Multimeter. If it shows shorted (or very low resistance), then it's OK. Otherwise, it's blown.
Attachments
TR2RX750.png
TR2RX750.png (656.91 KiB) Viewed 25492 times
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Next

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!