HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Best cheap low power PSU

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

Best cheap low power PSU

Postby shovenose » April 27th, 2013, 10:54 am

I'm throwing around some ideas for getting funding to build a budget dedicated server company. Anyway, we would need to be using desktop hardware, either in 2u cases or mid tower desktops. What would the best power supply to use? I love my Seasonic G-360 however it's a bit too expensive. The servers/computers would all be the same except for amount if RAM, number of disks, and cpu. Cpu would range from celeron g1610 to core i7 3770k. Ram would vary from 4 to 32gb. Disks would be 1-4, 3.5" data. So probably 300W would be enough since they would be using on board graphics...
Keep in mind these need to be able to run 24/7... while I would rather spend a couple more bucks up front to not have to replace power supplies as often. The SS-300ET would be fine I think but not enough SATA.
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Best cheap low power PSU

Postby c_hegge » April 27th, 2013, 2:10 pm

^
The 300ET is based on the original S12 platform IIRC, and uses junk caps (OST), so I wouldn't trust it in a server that has to run 24/7. If the G-360 is too expensive, then you could go for a Seasonic S12II 380W. They are a bit cheaper and only have 80+ bronze certification.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!