HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Samxon GF caps

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

Samxon GF caps

Postby Pentium » June 3rd, 2013, 2:04 pm

I have a couple questions :) I have an Enermax PSU here that has 100% Samxon GF caps (minus the primaries) and it will not power up at all. I know Samxon GF series are horrible, but are they very prone to dying without bulging?

Also, I have another PSU with Samxon GD (I think) caps, are those a bad series as well?
Pentium
Veteran Member

Re: Samxon GF caps

Postby shovenose » June 3rd, 2013, 3:49 pm

Samxon GD is bad. GD is god damn.
Samxon GF is bad. GF=girlfriends. which are troublesome.

That's how I remember the two bad series.
But Enermax has used PCE-Tur(d) caps for a long time now without issues. It is probably dysfunctional elsewhere.
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby c_hegge » June 3rd, 2013, 3:52 pm

Pentium wrote:I have a couple questions :) I have an Enermax PSU here that has 100% Samxon GF caps (minus the primaries) and it will not power up at all. I know Samxon GF series are horrible, but are they very prone to dying without bulging?
Not that I'm aware of, but any cap can potentially fail that way. It's just more common with Teapo and OST than it is with others. If you have a cap tester you can test them out for yourself. I'm assuming that this is a CWT built model. If so, then a cold joint somewhere is also a possibility. CWT aren't exactly known for good soldering.

Pentium wrote:Also, I have another PSU with Samxon GD (I think) caps, are those a bad series as well?

shovenose wrote:Samxon GD is bad.

Wrong. Samxon GD series = Samxon GOOD series. That said, however, they are similar in terms of specs to Rubycon MBZ, Panny FJ and Sanyo WG, so it's unusual to see them used in power supplies.

The other bad samxon series is the Get Lost series
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Pentium » June 3rd, 2013, 4:11 pm

I haven't checked the soldering side yet, I will definitely check that out. I have a cap tester, just feeling a little lazy I guess :D I will have to double check the series of Samxon that is in the other PSU, they're green just like GF
Pentium
Veteran Member

Postby c_hegge » June 3rd, 2013, 4:14 pm

They probably are GF then. The GD series are usually black with gold printing.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Pentium » June 3rd, 2013, 5:06 pm

They are indeed GF. Just checked, the print is a little blurry so I couldn't tell for sure at quick glance. Definitely going to replace those damn things... :) It's a decent Huntkey unit
Pentium
Veteran Member

Postby Pentium » June 3rd, 2013, 5:12 pm

I have also noticed, lots of Yate Loon fans seem to bulge where the bearing cover is....even seen some oil leak out the seams. Kinda worries me since I've seen it on three of them in a row...

And some of these PSU's have those nasty HEC primary caps. Is it just me or are those some of the least reliable caps even for the primaries?
Pentium
Veteran Member

Postby c_hegge » June 3rd, 2013, 6:11 pm

I hardly ever come across them, but I have been lead to believe that it stands for Horrible Electrolytic Capacitor :D

Yate loon fans are usually not too bad, but I have occasionally seen the bulge in the sticker around the bearing plug. Just make sure the plug is in nice and tight and it should be fine.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Pentium » June 3rd, 2013, 6:28 pm

They are horrible indeed :D Thanks for replying to all my questions....yeah they seem to spin very well, just concerning when they look like that
Pentium
Veteran Member

Postby Pentium » June 17th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Determined that the fuse was bad. Replaced it with the same rating (6.3A 250V) and it blew again as soon as I plugged it in. Should I check the entire primary first? It's an Enermax Tomahawk 500W: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/925
Pentium
Veteran Member

Next

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!