HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Concept: Capacitor specs vs. ripple test

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

Concept: Capacitor specs vs. ripple test

Postby LongRunner » December 23rd, 2013, 10:00 pm

I would be very interested to see what effect the capacitors used actually have on ripple voltage. What this means is obtaining several sets of capacitors from various series and testing each of them in the same PSU. To make sure aging doesn't skew the results, they should all be brand new. For completeness, a few different test units may be desirable.

My thinking is that the capacitors used in many if not most units are chosen not to get the lowest ripple practical but instead as a "good enough" cost/performance compromise. After all, in the business world, marginal savings are taken way too seriously.

Please show the ripple waveforms in detail along with listing the peak-to-peak voltages.
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: Concept: Capacitor specs vs. ripple test

Postby c_hegge » December 24th, 2013, 2:37 pm

If I get the time and caps, I'll give it a go. The problem will be trying to find a power supply which can fit 12.5mm caps everywhere. I often have to use Panny FK in at least some areas sure to size constraints.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!