HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Hantol PSU sticker blunder

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

Hantol PSU sticker blunder

Postby c_hegge » May 16th, 2014, 7:20 pm

This one was from goodpsusearch on badcaps on a "Hantol" Branded power supply. Note what the yellow sticker says about the output...
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (551.87 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
IMG_4505.jpg
220V AC *output*?
IMG_4505.jpg (518.57 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Hantol PSU sticker blunder

Postby LongRunner » May 19th, 2014, 2:30 am

Even if they had been referring to an (obviously absent) pass-through outlet there, which would actually make a tad more sense :D, it's still weird. The pass-through current wouldn't be limited to 1.5A — it would be the current rating of the power cord, which could be from 5A (the rating of the fuses provided with some British units that made their way into my {yes, huge} stash) to 10A (with 1mm² conductors), or even 15A in North America (with 14AWG wire — but most of them, predictably, use 18AWG which is about 0.82mm²), minus the current drawn by the PSU itself. (A built-in mains switch could impose a limit below that of the connector, but even then I would expect it to hold to at least 6A.)

Why would they go to the expense of the extra "filter" board and not put any EMI filtering on the main PCB, anyway?
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: Hantol PSU sticker blunder

Postby c_hegge » May 19th, 2014, 3:36 am

Yeah, it's a pretty silly (and whimpy) design overall. I probably could add too that the thing had a fake Passive PFC coil too. (A bit like that GMX SmartQC unit I reviewed a while back)

I just thought it was funny that the sticker implies that the PSU supplies mains AC voltage to the components.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!