HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Improving the reviews

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

Re: Improving the reviews

Postby c_hegge » December 3rd, 2014, 3:47 pm

You're right, it is 10uF. I had another look at the load tester and that is indeed what I have in there. The probe is clipped onto the output pin of the switch, and the ground wire to the piece of wire that grounds the caps.

That article is a bit overdue for an update. I don't actually use that long skinny ghetto load tester anymore. I have also tested it with the two capacitors connected directly to the output connector (without the switch in between), and the probes straight on to the caps. It makes no difference compared to how I have it on the load tester.
Attachments
Load tester switch.jpeg
Load tester switch.jpeg (878.55 KiB) Viewed 11215 times
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Improving the reviews

Postby LongRunner » December 3rd, 2014, 9:00 pm

Well, here's the difference:

Inlet Comparison.jpg
Left: Inlet on the IP-P410Q3-2, which has worldwide approvals. Center: Inlet on the Top Silent ATX-400 (made by Sun Pro), which has only Chinese approval (visible from the PSU interior). On the right is the related IEC 60320-2-2 type E cord-end plug. (A valid alternative construction for the inlet pins is to form a sheet of rigid metal into an approximation of the shape of the solid pins shown.)
Inlet Comparison.jpg (92.51 KiB) Viewed 11211 times

I suppose the inlet shown in photo #2 wouldn't be nearly as bad as non-safety-rated capacitors on the mains (although they usually appear in tandem…) — or counterfeit cords for that matter. Nonetheless, I don't find the lack of approvals (other than the apparently lax Chinese one) encouraging. If you see one of those not in tandem with non-mains-rated caps, I guess half a point off would be fair enough.

(As far as I'm concerned, the C13 [and all other odd C-numbered "connectors"] qualifies as a socket — as its contacts are female, mating with the male pins of the C14 inlet [or E-type plug]. The "gender" of the connector body is cosmetic, so doesn't matter to me — unlike the contact gender, which is a matter of life and death — so I find references to the C13 [or any other odd C-number] as a "plug", or an inlet as a "socket", quite awkward. The IEC itself goes neither way when referring to the cord-end connectors with female contacts, but are clear about the naming of the other three categories.)
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Previous

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!