HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

You've got to laugh at this…

Hardware Insights specializes in power supplies. In this part of the forum, you will find detailed information on every aspect of power supplies, including how to repair them and how to judge if a power supply is a good quality unit or not.

You've got to laugh at this…

Postby LongRunner » January 8th, 2015, 5:54 am

Came with a Dell Latitude E6430S from eBay seller "zgxzjy"

Well, we've seen some pretty depressingly bad PSUs — but this could very well be the Epic Fail Award winner of the year. :D Surprisingly, the parts look like they could actually handle the specified 90W (the bridge rectifier is a KBL406, the switcher is a 12N60, and the secondary rectifiers are 2 × MBR20150CT in parallel). But the capacitors are cheap crap, as expected — the primary capacitor is from JCAP (RA series), the output capacitors from "HD" (allegedly low ESR but no series given), and the 10µF 50V capacitor in the switching circuit is from HUAHONG (CD110 series).

Mind you, it included another counterfeit mains cord, and the inlet is absurdly tight when mated with a real cord.

Oh, and by the way, I have a suggestion for how you could apply the Epic Fail Award (without resorting to negative scores): Simply apply it to which PSU you think is the year's worst.
Attachments
IMG_0302.JPG
That heatsink on the left is connected to the negative terminal of the rectifier bridge. If it touches that pin on U2, which goes to the DC ground…(well, as the unit is built it would only do anything if active/line and neutral are reversed at the input, but that's easily done with the "Schuko" plugs used in much of Europe)
IMG_0302.JPG (3.7 MiB) Viewed 20503 times
IMG_0301.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG (3.57 MiB) Viewed 20503 times
IMG_0300.JPG
The earth pin goes nowhere. The active/line pin goes to one side of one of those cylindrical plastic fuses…that isn't installed. Nor has a wire jumper been put in its place. So there's no way the thing can work in the first place.
IMG_0300.JPG (4.1 MiB) Viewed 20503 times
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: You've got to laugh at this…

Postby c_hegge » January 8th, 2015, 12:16 pm

LOL! Leaving a fuse out and forgetting to jumper it. Although given the other mistake with the heatsink, it's probably a good thing that it won't work.

:jawdrop:
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby LongRunner » January 8th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Well, there is a fuse — you can see it (identified on the PCB as F2) in the second picture, wrapped in heatshrink, and installed in a very strange way.

Although, jumpering F1 still wouldn't make the unit work, as it just puts active/line on a trace that, in the absence of the filter choke LF1, itself goes nowhere.

(I hate the way these supplies are permanently sealed, so that you can't get the case open without damage. :@)
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Postby c_hegge » January 8th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Yeah, I saw the other fuse. But really, that is two jumpers (or components) that they forgot to install. Unbelievable...
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Behemot » February 11th, 2015, 1:30 am

LongRunner wrote:Well, there is a fuse — you can see it (identified on the PCB as F2) in the second picture, wrapped in heatshrink, and installed in a very strange way.

Although, jumpering F1 still wouldn't make the unit work, as it just puts active/line on a trace that, in the absence of the filter choke LF1, itself goes nowhere.

(I hate the way these supplies are permanently sealed, so that you can't get the case open without damage. :@)

Most times you can crack it with screwdriver and glue it back with instant glue or similar stuff while having it in grip (is that the right word?).
Behemot
Administrator

Return to POWER SUPPLIES!