HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Personal Computer Buyer's Licence

Everything goes... within reason!

Personal Computer Buyer's Licence

Postby LongRunner » May 23rd, 2015, 9:28 pm

This is just another thought of mine that seemed like it would be a great idea. Enjoy. :D

What it is
Well, the name is pretty self-explanatory: It's a licence that an individual must have to obtain a new PC (and some of the peripherals) from stores applying the scheme. It may also be applied by technical support providers, who may provide lower fees for licence holders. The goal is to reduce technical support costs by ensuring that potential PC buyers are properly trained in how to operate them before obtaining them.

The licence does not govern actual usage of the PC; this is in contrast to driver's licences (etc.) as are needed to ensure safety (of passengers, other motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists as well as the driver).

Enforcement
Application of the licensing scheme is at the sole discretion of the store owner or technical support provider; they have no legal obligation to do so. However, the economic argument is sure to make it attractive.

Eligibility
At this stage there is no minimum age requirement. The applicant only needs to be capable of reading, and understanding the instructions given.

Tests
So here comes the big one:
  • Group 1: Prelude
    • Initial connections (power, data, video, and audio)
    • Start-up, log-on
    • Basic input (keyboard and mouse)
  • Group 2: Getting started
    • How storage capacity works
    • Storage volumes and file management
      • Folder/directory structures
      • Naming conventions (and restrictions)
      • Basic operations (move, copy, and delete)
      • File and folder attributes
    • Monitor features (size, resolution, aspect ratio, colours) and adjustments
Renewal
The course will be updated as new technologies emerge, but at this stage we cannot give a specific schedule. You may need to re-take parts of the course as these updates emerge.

(end promotion)

Postscript
I have considered a "PC Builder's Licence" as a follow-up, for those who intend on buying new components (whether to build a brand-new PC or to upgrade an existing one). That would cover anti-static precautions, handling and mounting components, jumper settings, BIOS configuration, and so on.

I'll extend Group 2 and add further test groups when I'm ready.

Revision history
v0.1: initial post (2015/05/24 13:29)
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Return to Off-Topic