HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

General thoughts

Everything goes... within reason!

General thoughts 2024-01-09

Postby LongRunner » January 9th, 2024, 7:57 am

The Angry Video Game Nerd
It's ironic (especially for such a potty-mouth), but in many ways he has more class than most American “comedy”. :mrgreen:
(At times he may even approach British standards there.)

On that note, a few of the lousy licensed NES games he's reviewed (Back to the Future, Back to the Future Part II & III, The Three Stooges) came from Australian developer Beam Software, so we didn't get off to a great start in video games :P
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

General thoughts 2024-01-10

Postby LongRunner » January 9th, 2024, 9:33 am

Unorthodox approaches
It seems to me that they're more effective if coming from someone who, rather than trying to break out of the box, was never in the box in the first place.
LongRunner

General thoughts 2024-01-11

Postby LongRunner » January 11th, 2024, 4:39 am

Asian societies
The perception that they're more “logical” seems to be a superficial illusion: Logic needs a certain depth in order to work better than superstition, and if you don't have the depth, you get abominable views like (in South Korea) plastic surgery being “good” because “it shows that you care about your looks”. :rapidfire:

If anything Europeans have the edge in logical thinking, despite occasional goofs such as making the kilogram an SI base unit…
LongRunner

General thoughts 2024-01-13

Postby LongRunner » January 12th, 2024, 8:04 am

Technicians and the early Web
In many ways the original generations of computer technicians and website operators were more progressive than the people running things now, due to being of the type to think things through rather than being slaves to trends and ideology. (I'd be of the O.G. techie type if computing was still fun :-/)

Psychiatry
In my view it should be the last resort for addressing mental health issues, only to be considered after all softer avenues (therapy, psychology) have failed.
While psychiatry may be harder-science and technically more “rigorous”, that doesn't help if it's not applicable to the issue at hand.

Medications or other physiological treatments can help if the problem is well and truly in the brain (or body generally).
However if the patient's problem is ongoing mistreatment, then they can only be a band-aid (if that).
LongRunner

General thoughts 2024-01-14

Postby LongRunner » January 13th, 2024, 11:30 am

Hetalia
Miraculously, it's another anime I can enjoy; basically it depicts the countries personified so you can indulge in national stereotypes :group:
Mercifully each episode is only 5 minutes, so it doesn't drag the scenes out (like many popular animes do).

Which takes my total up to 3 (as for the rejects, K-On is so boring it'd put me to sleep, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is downright uncomfortable given Haruhi's “intimate” actions to the others – which she'd never get away with if she was a man…)

Law “and order” (not talking about the American TV series)
In reality, law is not capable of unilaterally reducing crime (or civil offenses); much as noise-shaping reduces noise at some frequencies at the cost of increasing it at others, the legal system's function can be regarded as crime shaping – reducing some offenses at the cost of increasing others.
This makes it all the more important to base the law on a proper assessment of the seriousness (or otherwise) of each type of offense.

Living conditions remain the dominant factor in how peaceful or aggressive any society is.
I'm also lucky that my amateur-lawyer phase was just a phase, observing that many Aspies carry it into middle-age or even for life…
LongRunner

General thoughts 2024-01-30

Postby LongRunner » January 30th, 2024, 3:34 am

Exercise
Lecturing parents about how much exercise their children “should” get, couldn't miss the point harder.
If kids are in a healthy state of mind, they'll naturally keep fit; if they aren't, then no amount of willpower can make them do the desirable amount of exercise.

Comedy
To me the point of good comedy is to expose peoples' weaknesses, but do it as an act of kindness (rather than to beat them down).
And you can always count on good comedy to be right, whenever you most wish it could be wrong :runaway:
LongRunner

General thoughts 2024-02-09

Postby LongRunner » February 8th, 2024, 11:07 pm

Normies
Perhaps their biggest mistake was imagining that they could just delegate the obviously-technical tasks to us geeks, and continue handling the rest emotionally.
Unfortunately for them, everything in the modern world is technical on some level; their emotions aren't superior, just crude (and often inaccurate) shortcuts.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
I already criticized it in a nutshell (two posts above), but to me Haruhi comes off as a ham-fisted interpretation of somebody with Asperger's syndrome – it's like a neurotypical person based her on their outside perception of Asperger's, seeing the “eccentricity” without understanding the underlying logical thoughts.
LongRunner

General thoughts 2024-02-19

Postby LongRunner » February 19th, 2024, 3:50 am

The Good Doctor
Shaun Murphy wouldn't consider medicine “reliable” if he knew electronics :P

Otherwise it's better than most American TV (faint praise though that may be :rofl:), but still often too heavy on the drama :s

Public Service Announcements
Why do they keep making them so patronizing? It clearly doesn't work, so isn't it the very definition of insanity? :dodgy:

Take tobacco: In Australia we actually had a witty anti-tobacco announcement back in 2002, so why didn't we keep that idea? :silly:
LongRunner

General thoughts 2024-02-22

Postby LongRunner » February 21st, 2024, 11:12 am

Jam
I've tried it occasionally, but never fully saw the point (other than to preserve fruits in old times); if you can tolerate the added sugar, you can put that to better use in other treats. (Juice I can at least see some use for, if you can't chew for whatever reason…)
LongRunner

General thoughts 2024-03-02

Postby LongRunner » March 2nd, 2024, 3:57 am

“Residential”/“Domestic”/“Consumer” versus “Commercial”/“Professional”/“Enterprise” products
Before you accept the disclaimer that a product is “Not for Commercial Use”, it's worth thinking about what actual differences there are in the usage.

Sometimes there's a specific difference to warrant the segmentation; other times the latter words just refer to generally-higher quality and performance.
And shifty companies will sometimes design deceptive products that look sturdier on the outside, but aren't actually much (if any) better internally…

Here are the examples I know:

Electrical accessories
The USA/Canadian distinction between “residential” and “commercial” fittings is basically just an excuse to install cheaper flimsier fittings in homes.
In more-sensible countries, like Europe and Australia, we use the more-solid fittings everywhere…

…although HPM now disclaim that their power-boards are “domestic use only” (though I already knew myself that they're no longer quality :dodgy:).
Even their “heavy duty” models say so :facepalm: (and I bought two Kaifeng 6-outlet boards – with good contacts – for less than HPM's “heavy duty” 6-outlet).
The problem here is that the only standardized meaning of “heavy duty” relates to the cord sheathing; but you only need heavy-duty sheathing if you're dragging the cord over abrasive surfaces such as concrete, bitumen or rocks (in the home you're either on soft carpet, or smooth tiles or floorboards).
(Of course HPM did also bulk-up the casing, to make them look appealing to the boy-racer demographic :runaway:)
Commercial vacuum cleaners (whose cords drag along the floor whenever they're moved) get on fine with H05VV‑F2X1.0 (the conductors will fatigue before the sheath wears), so you'll probably never wear through the H05VV-F3G1.0 or 3G1.5 (or SJT in USA/Canada) on a normal power-board…

Anyhow, the only warnings you should find on a power-board are:
  • Maximum total loading (according to the plug rating; 10A 2400W in Australia)
  • For indoor use only (unless it's an outdoor model, of course)
  • “Return to supplier for repair”, “Discard if supply cord is damaged” or words to the same effect (unless it's a rewireable type, which are not allowed in Australia but fairly common in Europe; those may have a warning not to remove the cover while plugged in)
Kitchen appliances
As a rule-of-thumb, residential appliances may be built to operate once/twice per day (or less for “novelty” items), commercial appliances all day long.
Of course, appliances which operate 24×7 (fridges/freezers) or for hours until manually switched-off (e.g. hot-water urns) are exempt from this guideline.
(Although commercial urns are usually double-walled for better heat retention than the cheaper single-walled models.)

The difference in actual durability isn't always as clear, and you could try the beefier residential models if the “commercial” appliance cost turns you off.

Other appliances
Lights may be left on for longer in commercial premises, but the lifespan “should” already account for this (whether that's accurate is another question).
In any case, an honorable manufacturer should warrant their lights for at least half of the claimed life expectancy (when on 24×7), including commercial use.

Fans and heaters present no obvious difference between residential and commercial use, and with the possible exception of generally-larger fans I'm unaware of specific “commercial” variants (though industrial fan heaters use sheathed tubular elements, and industrial fans may have sealed ball bearings).

For many years residential vacuum cleaners got worse and worse in design; placing the HEPA filter after the vacuum pump (and motor) is a widespread sin, and lots were (some models outside the EU still are) designed to maximize power consumption (as a selling point) with little regard for efficiency.
Commercial vacuum cleaners have correctly-located filters (all before the pump) and properly-sized, more efficient motors (providing similar or stronger suction, often from half or less of the input power); wet/dry vacuum cleaners (and the better central vacuums) also use “bypass” motors with a separate cooling fan (rather than feeding vacuumed air through the motor, including any dust fine enough to penetrate the filters), although this fan can add a loud whine.
On the other hand residential models usually have a retractable cord (probably not good for reliability either, but some people may find the added convenience significant) and speed control (even if it serves more to reduce stress on the underbuilt motor and impeller, than for the user's benefit)…

Salon-grade hair-dryers may have more-durable motors than cheaper household models (and salons also use “bonnet” hair-dryers which fit over the head to distribute the hot air evenly), but handheld units function much the same otherwise (except for Dyson's hair-dryer, I suppose :mrgreen:).

Mass Storage
As I've said before, 24×7 operation is fine for any decent HDD (although “enterprise” models may be tested for lower error rates, and might conceivably stand up to heavier seeking). Flash memory of course is limited by write cycles, requiring more‑expensive SSDs (or SD cards etc.) for applications with heavy repetitive overwriting (dashcams etc.); but even there, “consumer” versus “enterprise” is much too reductive.

Optical Media Players/Drives
Cheap mechanisms use undersized laser diodes and push them to the limit, fading fast; professional models use beefier, longer-lasting lasers (and motors).

Practices shared among various products
“Consumer” products may be initially underpriced and then make the money back on consumables (razor blades, printer ink, coffee pods, vacuum bags etc.)
Their “commercial”/“professional” counterparts will be sold at full cost, and the consumables priced reasonably.
Last edited by LongRunner on March 21st, 2024, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Urn construction (double vs. single walled)
LongRunner

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic