HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

General thoughts

Everything goes... within reason!

General thoughts 2023-04-10

Postby LongRunner » April 10th, 2023, 12:25 am

Adulthood
Biologically, it's the case upon completion of puberty. (Before anyone replies with “age 25”, read Joseph Bronski's breakdown of how that falsehood came to exist; as far as I'm concerned, pubescence is the only genuine grey area between childhood and adulthood.) Emotionally, it's not so clear that adulthood ever happens.
I don't feel like I've changed much in the past decade (though it surely helps that I avoided any teen-specific social spaces)…

If someone somehow produces a rebuttal with lifelong data, by all means show me it; but don't just double down on the mainstream American view.

So although I don't take a definite side on trans medical issues (beyond dehumanization being wrong and unproductive, and restroom debates a superfluous distraction), I have (perhaps surprisingly) more respect for those critical of both child and adult medical transition, than for those who invoke the “teen brain” (using the end of puberty or even legal age of majority as your benchmark, I can live with).
At least the former category aren't just trading one Americanism (and class of “experts”) for another…

Socially segregating teens from 20+ (or 13–17 from 18+, whatever) is just another variant of the same old “separate but equal” folly; it never is equal.
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

General thoughts 2023-04-14

Postby LongRunner » April 14th, 2023, 1:18 am

Online blocking
The “normal” way it operates (indefinite, for any reason whatsoever, no appeal) is vaguely workable on an individualistic platform, but not so much if you want to foster an actual community. If you want a robust community (one that discourages members from merely running away from disputes), some constraints may be necessary to limit such abuse and cowardice:
  • The member you want to block must have interacted with you recently (within last week? last month?) in some capacity beyond merely looking
  • Only temporary blocks (1 day? 3 days?) can be issued directly; if you really need a permanent block, you must refer the offence to staff (and if the blocked member thinks it's unfair, they can then appeal). It might be possible to also support a provisional block as part of reporting a truly serious offence…
  • To reblock a member after unblocking (or expiry of a temporary block), some time (2 days? 1 week?) must elapse and the member must interact again
  • You cannot block a member directly after responding to them in any publicly-visible channel (to prevent the misuse of blocking as a way of getting the “last word” in a public debate) – they must then respond back (or you must delete your last reponse) before you can block them.
In a high-trust society the existing system might not have been too crippling, but “trust” and “social media” don't belong in the same sentence :P
(Especially when antisocial-network algorithms are deliberately tailored to maximize inflammation for the sake of “engagement”…)

On DeviantArt blocking also removes the blocked members' works from your suggestions, but this could be better-served by a simple “hide from feed” feature.
(Pixiv actually has such a thing, which they call the mute setting; Substack does much the same.)
Flickr fosters another level of weirdness, where a sizeable minority of photographers seem to take a perverse pride in how many users they block. :wtf:

The foe list on phpBB forums (like this one) is quite tame in its effect (communication isn't blocked, just that post contents are hidden unless you opt to reveal them).
Last edited by LongRunner on February 15th, 2024, 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added constraint #4, trust remark
LongRunner

General thoughts 2023-04-22

Postby LongRunner » April 21st, 2023, 8:26 am

Tackling hate and extremism
If your first impulse is to crack down legally, then you've already lost. :facepalm:

But that doesn't mean nothing can be done; Richard Stallman proposes that the underlying algorithms should be regulated, rather than the specific statements posted. (Not that Facebook, Twitter et al. would submit without a fight, of course. What isn't mentioned in the mainstream – because they don't ask the question – is that while those companies oppose laws restricting speech, they wouldn't oppose them nearly as strongly as laws regulating the algorithms.
If they actually had to choose, then they'd surely rather sacrifice a few of the most-extreme posts than upheave their whole business model…)

Restoring downvotes (which Reddit still has; it's the only mainstream social site I post anything on) would be a good start (as mentioned before), as would enforcing variation in auto‑suggestions (preventing them from becoming too‑narrowly tailored to the user's viewing patterns).

Particular radical subcultures will have their own causes and possible solutions (for example, I think “incels” are largely alienated young men without a purpose in their lives; reducing systemic barriers to finding purposes could help there, and I would be naïve to distance myself too far from them).

I also find that the real irritations (generally unhelpful replies, etc.) are typically too subtle to outlaw anyway (even if you wanted to).
So don't let your forum grow too big to moderate effectively…
Last edited by LongRunner on July 31st, 2023, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forget about banning general irritations.
LongRunner

General thoughts 2023-04-24

Postby LongRunner » April 24th, 2023, 4:30 am

“Honestly”
Don't say that word before expressing your feelings; if I already thought you were honest, it's redundant. If I didn't think you were honest, it won't make me more convinced (the opposite, if anything). It seems to also be used in a passive-aggressive way, much of the time. :dodgy:

Complaining
Here's my Golden Rule #2: Only complain about things if you have the diligence to do them right on your end. If not, then what business do you have? :s

Hypocrisy
Pretty much everyone claims to hate it, but very few people are diligent enough to properly practise that claimed view.
I strive to be one of the precious few, but do notify me if I slip up…
LongRunner

General thoughts 2023-05-25

Postby LongRunner » May 24th, 2023, 8:35 pm

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
I feel somehow underwhelmed by it, despite it being technically advanced (and fixing some UI shortcomings of Breath of the Wild). (And yes, the lag is real.)
The “choir” upon shrine completion also sounds strangely stilted, even mechanical… :huh:

Maybe Ceave was right about Nintendo's gameplay-first mantra reaching poisonous levels; but even if it's the end of the series, they've had a good run (since 1986).
LongRunner

General thoughts 2023-06-04

Postby LongRunner » June 4th, 2023, 4:51 am

How to lose my respect for you :group:
I'll add things as I think of them:
  • Replace low ESR capacitors with general-purpose (without checking if the ripple current is within the rating, and ripple voltage within spec)
  • Post something online, then demand that viewers not even download it for personal use
  • Make a point of how many people you've blocked online
  • Take vapid mainstream animes (e.g. K-ON) seriously
  • Use Fuhjyyu capacitors in an LED lamp (especially one for fixed installation) (added 2023-06-08)
  • Publish pictures/videos with wrong aspect ratios, or audio with frequent clipping (added 2023-07-27)
  • Defend counterfeit electrical products (SMPS, cords etc.) or other blatantly-dangerous items (added 2023-07-27)
If you're prepared to admit to your mistakes, then I can forgive them (whatever they are) like Bruce Lee said; but you'll need to admit it.
LongRunner

General thoughts 2023-07-01

Postby LongRunner » July 1st, 2023, 7:38 am

Japan
I kind of miss the era when their culture was actually weird; I guess since anime has increasingly replaced western cartoons (instead of augmenting them), it has inevitably become more conformist. The only current anime I'm holding any real hope for is “The Dangers in My Heart” (from Mitsudomoe's creator)…

IEC 60320 C13 cords
In some ways I wish that kettles had kept using them (and before the armchair “experts” remind me that the C15 was the true kettle lead – it depends on the kettle's design and how much heat transfers to its inlet), as they were pretty-much the only household item loading them to (or near) the full rated 10A.
As they fell out of popularity there (in favor of the sit-on bases), it might have given a green-light to the counterfeiters to make them really dangerous.

On the upside, the short (0.5m to 1m) C13 cords left over from those old kettles can be quite handy for other items close to the outlet (or power-board).
(They may well be worse-for-wear from being plugged/unplugged with every boil; but if they still pass load testing and earth continuity, they're fine for stationary use. Indeed, two that I got in a second-hand job lot turned out to be just the right length for my PC :clap:)

EDIT: A few coffee machines (including some from DēLonghi) do have C14 inlets.
LongRunner

General thoughts 2023-07-04

Postby LongRunner » July 4th, 2023, 3:49 am

The Dangers in My Heart (僕の心のヤバイやつ)
Now that I'm watching it…
  • The theme tune is much plainer than Mitsudomoe's energetic themes (though still passable I guess).
  • It has a similar general art-style (but somewhat better quality, though perhaps not as good as it ought to be by now).
  • Norio Sakurai's classic juxtaposition of superficial crassness with underlying sweetness continues (though less-crass than much of Mitsudomoe).
So is it the best anime now running? Perhaps it is by default :rofl:, as I haven't particularly liked even the shows Redditors have recommended as Mitsudomoe “alternatives”. Maybe not quite the same energy level Mitsudomoe had, but still much more of it than in the other animes I've seen…
LongRunner

General thoughts 2023-07-08

Postby LongRunner » July 7th, 2023, 10:30 pm

Cost-cutting approaches of manufacturing in different countries
This is what I gather from general experience and observations:
  • United States of America: Good quality control, but often severe design corner-cutting in their low-end products.
  • United Kingdom: Their manufacturing quality is usually fine, but far too often brought-down by very basic engineering errors.
    (Australian companies make similar mistakes from time to time.)
  • Continental Europe: Middling overall; not as cheap as China or as incompetent as UK engineering, but generally not up there with Japan either.
  • Japan: Generally good overall quality, though their budget models still cut some corners (often in the mechanics of electromechanical products).
    Unfortunately many Japanese companies have now been zombified, or just given up on quality in “consumer” products…
  • China (PRC): Ruthless at cost-cutting, but can produce decent products if you compel them to (and pay about the same as you would elsewhere).
  • Taiwan (ROC): Originally copied Japanese designs, then applied aggressive cost-cutting in a rather freeform manner.
  • South Korea: Also originally copied the Japanese, and also then cost-cut aggressively; but in a more regimented way.
I guess people flocked to Taiwanese and Korean products because they initially had similar quality to their Japanese counterparts; but by the time they became cheaper enough to matter, they were no longer comparable. The difference between Taiwanese and Korean cost-cutting approaches could also explain why Taiwan won in computing, while Korea got much bigger in more‑mundane appliances and cars.
Korean products have at least (Note 7 notwithstanding :mrgreen:) maintained the dignity of standards compliance, although their overall quality is sometimes worse.
(I'd rather use Taiwanese than Korean PC components, but would not be brave enough to drive a Taiwanese car. :omg:)

Also, the combination of already-marginal low-end American designs with shoddy Chinese manufacturing may well have contributed to many Americans' especially strong anti-China sentiment. (China as a country certainly has many big problems, but I don't hate their general population.)

Records (33⅓RPM LP and 45RPM singles)
Now that I scored a bargain on a Technics Hi-Fi system (including a nice SL-Q200 record player*, direct-drive and quartz-locked), I've bought some second-hand; but I won't buy new records, as being made of PVC they clearly aren't the most environmentally-friendly audio format :group:. (Sure, new albums often have a good master on record and an over-loud CD master; but if the producer really cared about quality, they'd use the good master for all releases.)

*I know “record player” typically refers to a standalone model with built-in speaker, and “turntable” for the Hi-Fi component type; but then why don't people apply the same “logic” to CD players?

Speakers vs. Headphones
In my experience chiptunes (with their clean tones) sound better through headphones, while low-fidelity recorded audio (78RPM shellac records, or the 11025Hz/8‑bit PCM in most Humongous Entertainment games) is less grating through speakers.
Decent-fidelity recordings (or realistic synthesizers) are generally fine through either (according to your situation).

University
The very word has become increasingly deceptive, as most people seem to come out of it with a narrower worldview. It's especially irritating when those people get condescending towards individuals (like me :cool:) who consciously refuse formal higher education (if anything, that speaks more to their own insecurity)…
Last edited by LongRunner on August 3rd, 2023, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added continental Europe to the list
LongRunner

General thoughts 2023-07-11

Postby LongRunner » July 11th, 2023, 5:25 am

USA
While they have some good points (like constitutionally protected freedom of speech), there's so much stupidity and arrogance there that for my sanity, I have to maintain double insulation from their general culture. (Since they can't even be bothered to do that right :group:)
I rarely view their “entertainment” (apart from George Carlin :mrgreen:), as their sense of “humor” is generally far too patronizing for my taste.

Cars
I'm with Hitoha on them:
No green one.png
No green one.png (642.98 KiB) Viewed 54386 times
:P Anyway I should probably get a bike at some time, but for now I mostly ride the electric scooters (Beam, not Bird) for beyond-walking distances.

Shopping bags
They should really have rigid handles, to avoid digging into (and overloading) the fingers at each end.
LongRunner

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic