HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Essay: The definition of "nice" and online conversation

Everything goes... within reason!

Essay: The definition of "nice" and online conversation

Postby LongRunner » July 21st, 2013, 10:17 pm

Introducing R.M.E.S. for the first time...

I find it difficult to be nice when having a 2-way online conversation. The absence of tone of voice in regular text plays a big part in that. The writer knows what they mean, but the reader doesn't. So most readers try to figure it out for themselves.

There are various suggestions to try and sidestep this problem but those all have their problems.
  • "Posh" word choices. Trying to do that drains my brainpower and I really don't understand why people expect it anyway.
  • Smilies. Standard on most online forums but not exactly serious and can distract readers from the actual text. But at least they're easy to use and people would understand them.
  • Stating what you don't mean. Boring and you can't anticipate every which way your post will be interpreted. It also takes up screen space.
As far as I know, if more people used my system it would be the best of these - simple and not overly distracting.

No matter how you try, there's always the risk that someone will misinterpret it in a very bad way. It doesn't help that most people can't stand being targeted, regardless of whether or not your response is an "attack".

Essentially, nice shouldn't even encompass "posh wording", it shouldn't require the use of smilies, and you shouldn't have to keep stating what you don't mean. What matters is that they don't swear at you. Unfortunately, forum administrators can get away with swearing because they are the ones in control and there's no-one governing them.

Say what you think, using R.M.E.S. if you like.

EDIT: Now that I look at it, grey #606060 does look a bit dark to clearly distinguish. Changed to #707070.
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Return to Off-Topic