HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Are regulations made by the wrong people???

Everything goes... within reason!

Are regulations made by the wrong people???

Postby LongRunner » September 2nd, 2013, 10:07 pm

The situation with RoHS and that it bans the use of leaded solder (but oddly, still permits cathode-ray tubes (which are made from leaded glass) and worse, mercury-containing fluorescent lamps) prompted this question: Is the problem that politicians are allowed to work with stuff they don't understand??? After all, you just can't get the same quality with lead-free solder and it seems rather hypocritical to ban SnPb solder (which, even if landfilled...

Natural weathering processes usually turn metallic lead and its compounds into compounds which are relatively stable and insoluble.

...doesn't present quite the hazard people seem to think it does) but still allow the same consumers access to lighting that presents a much more serious hazard if landfilled (which people do even if it's illegal). The rise of CFL retrofits (which, to add to the problem, are usually very badly made to minimise the production cost) doesn't help.

Obviously, shortening the life of electronics is anything but green, but the hippies didn't see it.

The real irony, though, is that the now-common SnAgCu solders are extremely energy-intensive to manufacture - and you know what that means.

Ready, Fire, Aim!

Of course you're not going to hit the target if you do that.

I've heard that some people try to compare leaded solder to leaded petrol (the familiar example of large-scale lead poisoning), but they aren't even similar. The lead in petrol isn't even metallic lead - it's tetraeythllead, which doesn't have much of anything in common aside from the element being one of its components.

Automotive electronics must be RoHS compliant in the EU by 2016

Actually, we already know what that's going to result in:

• “A 2005 Toyota Camry was located with a fault that had the potential
    to injure, maim, or kill”
  • Detailed description obtained from the driver
  • Pedal position assembly installed it into a Toyota-simulator and
    duplicated the fault
  • The dual-potentiometer (the sensor used in the pedal position
    assembly) was disassembled
  • 240 ohm leakage path between the two "taps" on the dual-pot was
    caused by a tin whisker

You could argue that consumer electronics will typically be thrown away before they fail, but that's the consumer's problem, not the manufacturer's. (Okay, you could blame the mega-brands for convincing people to buy more with their advertising campaigns, but the factory workers have no part in that.) Even then, the manufacturing cost of silver would probably negate any "advantage" of removing lead.

I would be all for using less toxic materials if it didn't come at the cost of reliability. But there are times when you just can't do that.
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: Are regulations made by the wrong people???

Postby c_hegge » September 3rd, 2013, 11:00 pm

Tin whiskers shorting the throttle on a car? :eek:
:jawdrop:

They better not make RoHS mandatory on aircraft electronics...
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby LongRunner » September 5th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Okay, I've figured out what this means...

Reduction of Health & Safety

Before we know it, there'll be a news article titled "WARNING: Future cars may spontaneously go out of control".
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » November 14th, 2013, 5:42 pm

• World wide consumption of refined Pb decreased slightly to 8.63 metric
    tons in 2009 from 8.65 metric tons in 2008
---------The first annual decline in global Pb consumption since 2001

:lol2:

It looks like finding a good lead-free solder is an order as tall as a skyscraper. :(

It may be that people who thought lead-free solder was a good thing believed the misconception that soldering vapourises lead to be true.

LongRunner

Return to Off-Topic