HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Backronyms and puns

Everything goes... within reason!

Re: Backronyms and puns

Postby LongRunner » May 26th, 2015, 4:23 am

I already knew about GF – it's just GL that was "elusive". (Several people on BCN have claimed GL as one of the bad SamXon series but I've never found even a picture of them for myself. Nor could I locate them in 10 pages of Google results. In this case, I think the simplest explanation is the best, and that's the one I gave in my previous post.)

That, or it's the result of someone confusing CapXon and SamXon. (They do seem to share some of their series names.)

(For what it's worth, I currently use DuckDuckGo for most searches, for better privacy. But it assumed I meant to type Samson and mixed in results that happened to contain "Samson" and "GL", so Google was more suited to this "corner case" – although the search still came up empty-handed.)
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » May 27th, 2015, 1:00 am

Greenpeace = Greenwar

Among other things, they were the ones who pushed for the highly flammable R-600a (isobutane a.k.a. methylpropane) refrigerant as a replacement for the inert R-134a (1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane) on the grounds of global warming potential. There have already been several reports of exploded refrigerators in the UK and R-600a is most likely responsible (when the system leaks and an electrical spark ignites it). At least, that's according to their Wikipedia articles.
LongRunner

Postby Behemot » May 27th, 2015, 1:25 am

They are just available whores for somebody who can benefit from them. Like the big corporations which make those refridgerants.

It is common knowledge it was discovered how "bad" the freon is right when DuPonts patent was nearing end. Makes me doubt what really is true in there - judging what's happening with global warming or cold fusion, it is very posible it is all just one big fraud. I don't care about this, I am keeping my old fridges and air conditioners whatever is inside and no matter which moron tells me it is bad…
Behemot
Administrator

Postby LongRunner » May 30th, 2015, 7:08 pm

UL (Underwriters Laboratories) = Untrustable Lunatics

At least, that's the impression I get from observing their poor (indeed, in many ways positively scary) "safety" standards. (Although I suppose even they might beat the Chinese ones.)
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » July 19th, 2015, 11:55 pm

By the calculations I just did, there wasn't a lot of potential harm from R-134a to begin with; using the worst value I found (in this Wikipedia article) of 1,550 times the (100-year) GWP of carbon dioxide, and using the specified (on the nameplate) 110g of R-134a on the fridge I currently have (the Fisher & Paykel E331T that I did that power cord mod to; it's on the small side, but still…) gives us:

• Equivalent to 170.5kg of CO2
While that may sound significant on its own, I think you'll find that it's utterly dwarfed by the CO2 released from the energy usage of a typical household over just one year, let alone the 10+ that you'd normally expect to keep that fridge for. This is if proper disposal practices are completely disregarded.

So, does anyone reading this still think it's worth the explosion risk to use R-600a, then? I sure hope not, at any rate.

I don't think any more needs to be said, really, other than to point out that even if they do want to go ahead with eliminating R-134a, there's a less dangerous option out there. I can only call it yet another case of political correctness gone mad.
LongRunner

Postby Behemot » July 20th, 2015, 1:14 am

Damn it, one of the fans in my R22 AC unit started to make noises, it is most likely bad as it tripped circuit breaker somewhen in the morning. Hopefully I'll be able to replace it myself without the need to refill. And I hope it won't be special and expensive as it is some powerfull radial fan.
Behemot
Administrator

Postby LongRunner » June 18th, 2016, 7:14 pm

RationalWiki = IrrationalWiki

All that can really be said is that the whole idea behind it was doomed to failure from the start, becoming the nadir of the political far-left. Science-wise it's not so bad, but I'd rather just look at other sites about that stuff.
Last edited by LongRunner on May 25th, 2023, 4:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Statement revised to be more accurate
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » June 22nd, 2016, 12:08 pm

When those pricks named their cheap-ass small appliance importer (into Australia) Heller they weren't kidding; the toaster I have now from them (model TAH2S, 2-slice long slot, 800W nom. @ 230V, stainless-steel/black plastic outer shell, rather flimsy) has what can only be seen as a soldering iron slip mark on the case directly below where the crumb tray pulls out, and they also made the one fan heater I knew that seized up in short order (don't recall the exact model, but it was a 2000W upright). While virtually no small appliances are manufactured here in Australia anymore (and indeed lamentably), I would still gravitate to those brands that at least say "Designed/Engineered in Australia" (Breville, Kambrook, our division of Sunbeam) as at least I can fairly expect these to remain somewhat reliable.

It's a sad state of affairs, overall, that so many people (including those who should know better) just lump all resistance heaters into the same "unsafe" category; as when I intentionally focus on Australia's "decent three" small appliance brands, their few overall recall records indeed look to vindicate my inner engineer's feeling that, given comparable build quality, resistance heaters (simple) should be more fail-safe overall than air conditioning units (complex); in any case, it's certainly far less hassle to replace any recalled small appliance than it will be to replace a recalled A/C unit. (Feel free to see for yourself: Product Safety Recalls Australia > enter the brand name in question into the search box, or choose a relevant category)
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » March 10th, 2018, 6:21 am

Time for some more wordplay, don't you think? :cool:

Remember Hanlon's razor? ("Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.")
Well, regarding corporations, it should go like this: Never attribute to kindness what can be adequately explained by strategy.

And thanks to Richard Stallman: The Domination by Media Corporations Act
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » May 21st, 2018, 4:32 am

"Mode 2" "surge protectors" (those with MOVs between the phases and earth): Computer murderers
(Obligatory link to Zero Surge's explanation.)
LongRunner

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic