HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Apple violates basic electrical safety rule

Everything goes... within reason!

Is this safety issue severe enough that Apple should be sued???

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes : 1

Apple violates basic electrical safety rule

Postby LongRunner » September 8th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Some of Apple's chargers use non-standard mains connectors based on the IEC320 C8 inlet and a stud (?). Said stud is plastic on double-insulated units and metal on earthed ones, and that's the only difference.

The problem this poses, of course, is that it makes it possible to unearth one of those supplies with no modification of any connectors or wiring. (e.g. If you lose the original Apple cord, the only standard one that fits is the IEC320 C7, which, as everyone knows, has no earth pin.)

At the very least, whoever made this decision should be fired from Apple.
Last edited by LongRunner on November 22nd, 2013, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: Apple violates basic electrical safety rule

Postby Wester547 » September 8th, 2013, 10:12 pm

So it's very easy to unearth the connectors on Apple's Magsafe adapters even in the event that it (the adapter or the strain relief on the cable itself) would never fail? Just to be clear on what it means.
Wester547
Veteran Member

Postby LongRunner » September 8th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Wester547 wrote:So it's very easy to unearth the connectors on Apple's Magsafe adapters even in the event that it (the adapter or the strain relief on the cable itself) would never fail?

MagSafe is the low-voltage connector and isn't the subject of the discussion.

Unearthing the PSU would happen by using the wrong cord (or alternatively, in this case, plug piece).

Sadly, this isn't the only case of f***wits creeping into big corporations.
Last edited by LongRunner on May 25th, 2023, 6:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Repaired link (again)
LongRunner

Postby LongRunner » November 15th, 2014, 8:14 pm

In retrospect, I think that, quite frankly, the fact that Apple managed to screw this up is more shocking than actually coming into contact with the mains is. Image
LongRunner

Postby c_hegge » November 15th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Knowing Apple, I'm not surprised at all. Kinda makes me glad I only use droid mobile devices.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby LongRunner » May 29th, 2018, 8:22 pm

I had a close encounter with the Australian 240V mains, just a few days ago: I was testing the circuit breaker from a power-board with "surge protection" (actually a computer murderer, disguised by pseudoscientific marketing; they're the monsters Zero Surge warn against, and it will be the first item to win my new Epic Fail award :cool:; and yes, they have claimed a few victims :(), and touched it to feel its temperature after running a 10A load.
But one time, I forgot to unplug my jury-rig and accidentally touched its live terminals. :blush:

Fortunately, I wasn't touching any earthed metalwork at the time (just standing on the ceramic floor tiles), so I barely got a tingle (and the RCD didn't trip).
Granted, it could have been much worse than it was (especially for a person smaller than me, or in poor health).

(Not that I'm in any hurry to get a "proper" electric shock, of course. :omg:)
LongRunner

Return to Off-Topic