HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Things not to buy new

Everything goes... within reason!

Things not to buy new

Postby LongRunner » October 11th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Usually because they're built like crap due to penny-pinching...
  • DVD players (at least the basic ones)
  • CFL retrofits (because people, unrealistically, expect them to be as cheap as the incandescent bulbs they replace; but what this means is subpar internal components, and usually no PFC at all) (well, these have been crap for years)
  • HDDs (according to some experiences)
No doubt there's more, but that's all I can think of right now...
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: Things not to buy new

Postby Wester547 » December 12th, 2013, 1:05 am

Don't buy Xbox 360s new. Microsoft is, since last Spring, allowing the use of Lelon capacitors instead of Japanese capacitors in the VRM input and output of Xbox 360 motherboards in newer models. To my knowledge, Sony has done similar with the PS3, but I believe it's up in the air whether you get a model with Japanese capacitors or Chinese crap, in the PSU at least. This is, of course, to perpetuate sales of the Xbox One and PS4 so people will forget about the previous generation of consoles and move on to the "new". Of course, if you want to buy them new to recap them, that's also another option, but even then....

I also believe even platinum-price Panasonic LCD TVs now use crap like Taicon and Lelon instead of Panasonic capacitors, and that it's been such a way for months now, so don't buy them new either, unless you want to for the above mentioned reasons...
Wester547
Veteran Member

Re: Things not to buy new

Postby c_hegge » December 12th, 2013, 2:38 am

I wouldn't buy an Xbox new or used. Even the ones with Jap caps run so hot that they cook them.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Return to Off-Topic