HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

So what was the main driving force behind RoHS???

Everything goes... within reason!

Why did they create this useless restriction???

Catering to the demands of uninformed citizens
33%
Being uninformed themselves
50%
Deliberately making equipment fail (planned obsolescence)
17%
Sabotaging the environment
No votes
Other (what???)
No votes

Total votes : 6

So what was the main driving force behind RoHS???

Postby LongRunner » November 16th, 2013, 7:32 am

I can only say it's ironic to create an "environmental" regulation that leaves you to choose between (A) the least reliable solder (tin/copper) and (B) the solder that takes the most energy to manufacture (tin/silver/copper). Okay, so there are other lead-free solders, but how common are they? Not to mention that it's cost the industry billions of dollars, and there's still nothing that just works the way Sn63Pb37 did.

But how did this saga begin? My guess is that it's a combination of politicians not knowing what they're doing and pressure on them to "take action".

To elaborate, these are the problems with lead-free solders:
  • The finish of soldered joints is different, complicating inspection.
  • The melting point is usually higher by a substantial margin, requiring higher soldering temperatures which are more likely to damage components.
  • Most lead-free solders can't take as much mechanical stress as leaded (with SnCu being especially poor).
  • Lead-free solders have poorer "wetting" (the spread of the melted solder to cover the soldered surface).
  • Mixing different alloys can cause severe reliability problems, especially in BGAs.
  • There is an increased risk of voids in soldered joints.
  • Tin is susceptible to growing "whiskers" which can cause short circuits at low power levels and plasma arcing at higher ones. Lead is the only element that provides good protection from whisker growth.
  • Tin in cold environments (<13.2°C) slowly changes from its normal beta-phase to its nasty, brittle alpha-phase, and cannot be restored to normal. There are three elements that prevent that problem - lead, antimony (also toxic) and bismuth (catastrophically incompatible with lead). The latter two have both been used in solders, but you cannot count on their use; still, I'd guess SnSb might just be the least bad lead-free solder.
And as manufacturing the rest of the equipment has a much greater environmental impact anyway, no reduction in lifespan is worth it.

To be honest, I wouldn't count on them ever finding a good replacement for leaded solder. It's probably just the one best material for the application, just as copper is best for durable, highly conductive wiring and gold is excellent for highly corrosion-resistant contacts.
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: So what was the main driving force behind RoHS???

Postby shovenose » November 16th, 2013, 11:36 pm

I think they meant well. I still don't buy into this whole planned obsolescence thing. While I agree that electronics are being made lower quality, it's simply consumers wanting cheaper stuff, not manufacturers going "oh, how can we make this last one day longer than warranty?"
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Re: So what was the main driving force behind RoHS???

Postby c_hegge » November 17th, 2013, 10:47 pm

I'd say it's the first two.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Return to Off-Topic