HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Why do websites even bother with age limits?

Everything goes... within reason!

Why do websites even bother with age limits?

Postby LongRunner » January 1st, 2015, 4:30 am

They seem rather useless to me when anyone can just lie their way around them…
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: Why do websites even bother with age limits?

Postby c_hegge » January 2nd, 2015, 12:42 pm

I agree, but it's probably just for legal reasons.
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby LongRunner » January 4th, 2015, 9:17 pm

COPPA to be exact.

But frankly, it seems to be approximately as helpful as RoHS is. (i.e. not at all)
LongRunner

Postby Behemot » March 7th, 2015, 3:17 pm

The root of the problem is many ppl are lazy morons who give their personal freedom for bare promise the regime will care after them. So when even minor problem appears (or somebody creates it deliberately), politicians must "solve" it. That's how 99 % of today's laws came out. Mostly they are stupid and harming vastly more ppl than they help. Sometimes they are just stupidly annoying like with this age limit stuff. But for lazy morons, "problem solved", at least for a short time. So such idiotic laws will never be cancelled no matter how stupid they are, at least as long as these democratolity regimes will be standing.
Last edited by LongRunner on April 8th, 2018, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Behemot
Administrator

Re: Behemot – How do we improve democracy, anyway?

Postby LongRunner » April 8th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Basically, you're right about the flaw with democracy (i.e. "mobocracy", or more formally ochlocracy): It's rather like capitalism, in that it's the best of the basic models by a huge margin, but still far from perfect.

I really can't think of a good (or even tolerable) solution to that particular flaw. The only thing I can think of that might barely work (in theory) would be to design an intelligence test, that citizens must pass in order to earn the right to vote; but I can very clearly foresee such a measure being severely abused, and would therefore only ever consider it as an absolute last resort (should the only visible alternative be imminent disaster).

Anyway, such a test would be incompatible with mandatory voting, as used in Australia (anyone who didn't want to vote could just refuse to take the test – unless taking the test itself was forced, which I'd have even less desire for).
(In principle, I very much prefer optional voting – albeit on the understanding that it does have weaknesses.)
Last edited by LongRunner on April 11th, 2018, 8:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Re-thought
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Return to Off-Topic