HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Essay: Gambling with products

Everything goes... within reason!

Essay: Gambling with products

Postby LongRunner » January 24th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Well, I suppose you're probably familiar with the traditional gambling problem: Offer a game that presents the possibility of winning big bucks, in order to seduce people into playing it. Unfortunately for them, the chance of success is very remote, so most of them are worse off. Nonetheless, the prospect of winning is enough to keep them trying — which is great for the operator.

I'm concerned with a different type of gambling problem — the difference being that this one, instead of trying to seduce us, imposes itself on us. It's about choosing products.

Of course, there are reviews. Unfortunately, there is no shortage of incompetent reviewers — and picking out the good ones requires a degree of knowledge of the product category involved, which itself is often something of an accomplishment. Even if you know what to look for, finding it can be a crapshoot itself — as I found out recently when searching for reviews of portable electric heaters. (As I mentioned in another thread, heating is a more complex topic than is often acknowledged — as are a lot of topics, of course.) The search was in vain, and I guess we'll have to do that stuff ourselves as usual. :-/

Like most of us, I've lost the bet several times before, and it's very frustrating. What's also noticeable (read: bleedingly obvious) is that product marketing, like betting games, operates in no small part on seduction.

And while we're at it, I guess I should take the opportunity to exchange links to especially useful websites. Of course, there's that old masterpiece, The PC Guide; while the main site has more-or-less frozen in time for almost 14 years now, the PC Buyer's Guide is almost ageless; indeed, it would be easier to count the parts that aren't still relevant. :heart: Other useful and/or interesting sites:

Defective by Design — fighting for freedom from DRM
End Software Patents — the title is self-explanatory
Parents for Barefoot Children — not exactly computing-related, but I do think it's important. (I certainly consider reality checks to be in short supply.)

Of course, I'm as sick and tired of zero-tolerance attitudes as the rest of us are. Zero tolerance in engineering, of course, would mean infinite cost — so what do you think? :s The book "In the Interests of Safety" (ISBN 978-0-7515-5349-9) is strongly recommended reading.
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Re: Essay: Gambling with products

Postby c_hegge » January 26th, 2015, 1:47 am

Yeah, I know. And these days, no one brand of product is really safe.

That said, though, at least with the Australian Consumer Law now, all products must be warranted for a reasonable period, and really, the stated 1 year warranty on most products is not what I would consider to be a reasonable lifetime for all but the most dirt cheap of products. It's easier to argue it with some companies than others, though.
Last edited by LongRunner on December 22nd, 2015, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This has nothing to do with car racing. :P
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Essay: Gambling with products

Postby LongRunner » January 26th, 2015, 2:18 am

c_hegge wrote:…and really, the stated 1 year warranty on most products is not what I would consider to be a reasonable lifetime for all but the most dirt cheap of products.

Applying a 1-year warranty to an LED luminaire (for fixed installation), as Brilliant Lighting does (I mentioned the POS before), is of course nothing short of outrageous — as is their use of Asia'X capacitors. Then they claim that commercial use reduces the warranty to 3 months :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:. (That's a little under 2,200 hours if you leave them on non-stop — or slightly longer than the life of one halogen lightbulb. So much for their marketing claim of 40,000 hours.)
Last edited by LongRunner on March 21st, 2017, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed WTF smilies
Information is far more fragile than the HDDs it's stored on. Being an afterthought is no excuse for a bad product.

My PC: Core i3 4130 on GA‑H87M‑D3H with GT640 OC 2GiB and 2 * 8GiB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz, Kingston SA400S37120G and WD3003FZEX‑00Z4SA0, Pioneer BDR‑209DBKS and Optiarc AD‑7200S, Seasonic G‑360, Chenbro PC31031, Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
LongRunner

Return to Off-Topic