HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Home made EMI filtering outlet

Discuss general technology and news here.

Home made EMI filtering outlet

Postby duckula » April 13th, 2011, 3:04 am

Today I made an EMI filtering outlet by myself (well, sort of). I found an old ATX2.03 power supply at home. An idea popped into my mind at the moment I opened it.

The power supply has two stages of EMI filtering. The stage 1 was connecting to the receptacle and the stage 2 was soldered on the main pcb. The stage1 has a little piece of PCB with 2 y capacitor, 1 x capacitor and a coil soldered on it. I was thing if I could make use of the stage 1 to DIY an EMI flitering outlet/socket.

I pulled the stage 1 out of the PSU and coupled it with an outlet. Then I connected my speaker to the EMI filtering outlet and amazing happened. The speaker used to make loud annoying sizz noise (probably coil whine), but now the noise is so low that it even isn't audible unless you stick your ears to the speakers!:clap::clap:
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
Any help will be appreciated.:thnx:
duckula

RE: Home made EMI filtering outlet

Postby duckula » April 13th, 2011, 6:01 am

update: I think my EMI flitering outlet doesn't work that well... The sizz noise got louder this evening...
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
duckula

Postby shovenose » April 13th, 2011, 6:25 am

well, it was a brilliant idea :-)
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby duckula » April 13th, 2011, 6:38 am

shovenose wrote:well, it was a brilliant idea :-)

if only it worked. :lol2:
duckula

Postby shovenose » April 13th, 2011, 7:02 am

try it again :-)
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Klinc » April 21st, 2011, 4:42 am

Aah the 50hz hum. You must try and centralize one ground and plug your devices into it.
3DMARK11
For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.
Klinc
Veteran Member

Postby duckula » April 21st, 2011, 5:07 pm

Thanks Klinc. :) The GND is a problem cause the place where I live doesn't have GND at all. :( I thought the noise maybe have some connections with the absence of GND, but I can't prove it.
duckula

Return to General Tech Discussion/News