HIGH QUALITY, HARD TO GET AND CUSTOM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS FOR POWER SUPPLIES, DISPLAYS, TVs, MOTHERBOARDS AND MORE!

Huntkey R90 300W 80plus gold certified PSU review @pcpop

Discuss general technology and news here.

Huntkey R90 300W 80plus gold certified PSU review @pcpop

Postby duckula » March 23rd, 2011, 2:03 am

Two weeks ago, Anandtech had released their review for the Huntkey R90 300W 80+gold certified power supply, and the little puppy(R90) supprised us with its well built quality and good performance. The only drawback of the PSU is that it is way over priced. Gold or not, I won't pay approx $90 for a 300W PSU anyway.:D

Today, Zhuoke(the reviewer) over at pcpop has posted his review on the Huntkey R90. And the unit behaved pretty during static load test. Transient load test results are sort of disappointing, though. One thing worth pointing out is that the primary capacitor of pcpop's review sample's is a HEC 220μF cap, which is different from the one used in Anandtech's sample(a Rubycon USG 220μF). And according to Pcpop, the retail version of the R90 will probably stick with their review sample, which means you are more likely to get a HEC rather than a Rubycon as the primary cap of the R90 you purchase.

Here's the link to pcpop's review:
http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/642/642818.shtml

(I tried to translate the full review into English with google translate's help, but somehow, google refused to help me. )

componets used in R90:

primary cap:

soldering:

Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
Any help will be appreciated.:thnx:
duckula

RE: Huntkey R90 300W 80plus gold certified PSU review @pcpop

Postby c_hegge » March 23rd, 2011, 2:37 am

Makes me wonder what the HEC they're up to. :D
No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards! :D
c_hegge
Seasoned Veteran

Postby duckula » March 23rd, 2011, 3:24 am

Does HEC stand for: harmful electrolytic capacitor? :lol: And there are Ashi(Ashit), Ksc(killersc) and Fcon(fakecon) caps on the secondary side.
Please feel free to point out any mistakes in my messages. That will be helpful for me to make less mistakes in the future. :-)
duckula

Postby Th3_uN1Qu3 » March 23rd, 2011, 7:19 am

It translated fine here. HEC primary caps aren't that bad... but the ones i saw on the secondary surely are. From the second i saw the internals on Anandtech i knew that the retail supply is going to be a bit different. Plus, 90% efficiency = excuse to cheap out on heatsinks.

Btw duckula: You have a mistake in your signature. It's future not furture. :P
Th3_uN1Qu3

Postby duckula » March 23rd, 2011, 7:33 am

Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote:It translated fine here. HEC primary caps aren't that bad... but the ones i saw on the secondary surely are. From the second i saw the internals on Anandtech i knew that the retail supply is going to be a bit different. Plus, 90% efficiency = excuse to cheap out on heatsinks.

Btw duckula: You have a mistake in your signature. It's future not furture. :P

Fixed. Thanks Th3_uNiQu3:thnx:. Yeah, you are right. And huntkey doesn't even want to put this model into large quantity production. According to the reviewer, huntkey's going to roll out a cost-down 330W 80+ gold certified PSU in the second half of this year, and it will replace the R90. :(
duckula

Postby shovenose » March 23rd, 2011, 7:40 am

What is the point of them bothering to design that unit then?
shovenose
Seasoned Veteran

Postby duckula » March 23rd, 2011, 7:46 am

shovenose wrote:What is the point of them bothering to design that unit then?

Proving that they are capable of making good stuff.
duckula

Return to General Tech Discussion/News